Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Auto Hold Button Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes. I had it on the BMWs too and I would love to see it on the S5. Like others, I also use the ACC for this purpose or the parking brake (once the car behind me has stopped) as a workaround. A little more involved but OK for now.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
YES, This is exactly what I was hoping for, a video that shows it. I've already gotten the first piece off.

And for those of you wondering, "Is auto hold worth it?" I suggest going down to your local KIA dealer and test driving the GT2 Stinger. That vehicle comes with auto hold and is a good example of what it can do for you. I never would have thought twice about auto hold but when I test drove a Stinger on a whim I decided I liked it. After I get it installed on my 2018 S5 Cab and use it for a while I may do our S5 SB and Q7 as well.
I’m intrigued with this. My S5 is my first ever auto and I probably would like the hold function. And I even have DAP too.

So so what’s the logistics? Do you press the button each time you stop? Then the brake is auto applied? Does it change the stop/start function? I’m away from home so I have no easy access to owner’s manuals - US or otherwise.

i have VCDS, obdeleven, and Vag Can Pro so with the proper instructions I’m sure I could do the adaption.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Need Some More Help

I got the center console apart and have installed the auto hold button. However, the next step is to add two wires to the J519 module. BUT I CAN'T FIND IT. Does anyone know where it is located in the 2018 S5 Cabriolet? In the older S5 it was on driver's side under the lower instrument cover.

Please send pictures/videos/or anything that will help.

Thanks

Byron

Last edited by AUDIQSS; 07-12-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the center console apart and have installed the auto hold button. However, the next step is to add two wires to the J519 module. BUT I CAN'T FIND IT. Does anyone know where it is located in the 2018 S5 Cabriolet? In the older S5 it was on driver's side under the lower instrument cover.

Thanks

Byron
I thought it was plug & play with a special wiring harness?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by channey13
I thought it was plug & play with a special wiring harness?
It pretty much is, IF you can figure out where to plug it in. So far 4rings.us has been UNABLE or unwilling to provide the information necessary to complete the job. They sent me information for a 2007 S5 Coupe which is far different than the 2018 S5 Cab I told them I was buying it for. I have been waiting since mid-June for the correct information. I have emailed them several times and they are not answering. Is it possible they are no longer in business or are they on summer vacation and don't care what happens to their business?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JLoft
I’m intrigued with this. My S5 is my first ever auto and I probably would like the hold function. And I even have DAP too.

So so what’s the logistics? Do you press the button each time you stop? Then the brake is auto applied? Does it change the stop/start function? I’m away from home so I have no easy access to owner’s manuals - US or otherwise.

i have VCDS, obdeleven, and Vag Can Pro so with the proper instructions I’m sure I could do the adaption.
You turn it on and it stays on until you turn it off. The only thing I am unsure about right now is if you need to turn it on each time you start the car or if it has "memory" and stay on between starts.Of course you can turn it off any time you want. But unless I can find out where the J519 module is located, I won't be able to finish the install.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

https://www.a5oc.com/threads/accessi...-module.25860/

Is that any help?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CFLQTRO
Not really, those are the same pages that they sent for the 2007 S5, but thanks anyway!
Old 07-12-2019, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Here is a thread about installing this kit in a Q7 which says the J519 is located at the left side panel of the driver side foot-well (includes wiring diagram).

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...rofit-2956539/

BUT I found this thread about someone trying to install Auto Hold in a B9 A4 which says the module is located in the passenger side glove-box area:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ectors.390286/

Here is another post from someone that installed a different kit in a B9 A5 which also says it's in the passenger side area also:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...2#post-3224232

Hope this all help.. Interested in doing this myself so please document with photos as you figure it out. Thanks!

Last edited by heymoe; 07-12-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks Again heymoe

Originally Posted by heymoe
Here is a thread about installing this kit in a Q7 which says the J519 is located at the left side panel of the driver side foot-well (includes wiring diagram).

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...rofit-2956539/

BUT I found this thread about someone trying to install Auto Hold in a B9 A4 which says the module is located in the passenger side glove-box area:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ectors.390286/

Here is another post from someone that installed a different kit in a B9 A5 which also says it's in the passenger side area also:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...2#post-3224232

Hope this all help.. Interested in doing this myself so please document with photos as you figure it out. Thanks!
These were very helpful. Yes, on my 2018 S5 Cab LHD the J519 module is just behine the hood release pull handle. I was able to access it and install the wires into plugs 73a slot 17 and 73b slot 31.

The car is now back together, but I have not been able to finish the coding. There are three steps to the coding and I quote:

Stg 09 - Byte 15 - Bit 6 [0>1]

Stg 03 - Byte 18 - Bit 6 [0>1]
Stg 03 - Byte 30 - Bit 1 [0>1].

I was able to do Stg 09 as the Bits showed up and I clicked on Bit 6. But in Stg 03 when I go to Byte 18 and Byte 30, the Bits don't show up all I get is:

Byte 18 Binary 10011010
Byte 30 Binary 01011001.

And I don't know how to interpret/change them properly. Any ideas??

Stg 03 Byte 18

Stg 03 Byte 30

Quick Reply: Auto Hold Button Installation