Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Auto start stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
it has everything to do with emissions. If you ever go to Germany, you will note the traffic at stop lights is silent...

... until it turns green -
Yet in many states — I’m not declaring all states — Diesel engines escape emissions testing while gasoline vehicle must undergo yearly emissions testing!

Another case of BS, IMHO!
Old 09-12-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, the loaners I have been in have all worked this way too. It is never a problem for me because I am in S mode almost all of the time, which shuts off auto stop. I have also got into the habit of also hitting the cancel button on the dash too because when the car is shifted back into park the engine will shut off too sometimes if all the parameters fro the auto stop system are met as well.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the auto start/stop in Audi vehicles causes additional wear and tear? I can’t find anything in our A5 manual stating this, but the manual for our X5 states that “Certain vehicle components may experience additional wear as a result of this system”. Maybe it’s just an issue with BMWs auto start/stop system.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:23 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Zell
Does anyone know if the auto start/stop in Audi vehicles causes additional wear and tear? I can’t find anything in our A5 manual stating this, but the manual for our X5 states that “Certain vehicle components may experience additional wear as a result of this system”. Maybe it’s just an issue with BMWs auto start/stop system.

no, it does not.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you N8
Old 09-12-2018, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
FWIW, one of the reviews I read of the S5 prior to purchasing it, the reviewer specifically mentioned the start/stop engaging too soon. Since that review was in 2017, he assumed Audi would clean that up in the next software update (ha - how funny is that?). While I have not driven a ton of auto start/stop vehicles, the reviewer obviously thought the Audi version was outside of normal. I also agree, it would be much more usable if it waited until the vehicle was completely stopped.
yea, it is a little unnerving when the engine shuts off while you are still rolling. It seems to be designed that way as Audi mentions it in the manual. Or they included it in the manual because they couldn’t program it to engage at the right time. 😂
Old 09-12-2018, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SolventSolution

yea, it is a little unnerving when the engine shuts off while you are still rolling. It seems to be designed that way as Audi mentions it in the manual. Or they included it in the manual because they couldn’t program it to engage at the right time. 😂
All Audi 3.0T gasoline engines with start stop shut off before a complete stop. Doesn't bother me at all. The idea is that if it shuts off while moving it will be less noticeable.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have driven quite a few cars with A.S.S., it can stop the engine before the car stop or afterward, it is really not any better one way or the other. I remember my first car the ***, it was a 2012 BMW 535xi. When the engine stop, the car shook, when it starts, it leaps forward. It was very uncomfortable to drive, luckily, back then, BMW offers new car owners the option of setting the *** to default off, which I did. Now that I had cars with *** for a while, it doesn't really bother me anymore, sometimes it is nice to sit in traffic with engine off, if I need the engine on for a quick turn, I just lift my foot off the brakes a bit or I throw it in sport.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:25 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

When we were vacationing I rented a Merc GLC300 for 10 days but I returned it the second day because the vehicle shook terribly on the auto restart! Worst rental vehicle I ever had. While I am now “programmed” to push the “auto start / stop” button as my finger leaves the engine start button, I didn’t find the Audi auto start anywhere near as obtrusive.

i still do not like the feature but from a purely physical discomfort perspective it’s not terrible.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:27 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Yet in many states — I’m not declaring all states — Diesel engines escape emissions testing while gasoline vehicle must undergo yearly emissions testing!

Another case of BS, IMHO!
In Germany, many cities are banning diesel engines from their city limits - even Stuttgart which is home to Porsche & Daimler/Mercedes/SMART

https://www.dw.com/en/frankfurt-must...les/a-45373435

https://www.dw.com/en/stuttgart-to-i...019/a-44634246

Quick Reply: Auto start stop