Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Auto start/stop engaging in Dynamic mode in D

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Auto start/stop engaging in Dynamic mode in D

I could have sworn it never goes in Dynamic mode, now it's happening. Is that normal?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 647 Likes on 420 Posts

Totally normal. Only goes off in Dynamic "S" mode.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It should be disabled if the transmission is in S, regardless of the current Drive Select mode. The powertrain is only in Dynamic if the transmission is in S. If it's in D, then the powertrain is in Comfort/Auto mode.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
If it's in D, then the powertrain is in Comfort/Auto mode.
That's not how it works for me. I can be in Dynamic mode or Individual with Dynamic selected for the engine, and it will have sharper throttle response no matter if the transmission is in S or D mode.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The powertrain is only in Dynamic if the transmission is in S. If it's in D, then the powertrain is in Comfort/Auto mode.
This has always been my comprehension (and the consensus here). However, I just found this description of the Audi drive select (Self Study Programme 644 - Audi A4 (type 8W), page 62) which seems to suggest otherwise...

Last edited by Yoshimura; 06-03-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The dynamic mode description doesn't say much about the behaviour of D under dynamic mode, is the same as D in auto, where it does the driver recognition? So basically just earlier shift points?

Can you enable efficiency mode in NA models with coding?
Old 06-03-2019, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
This has always been my comprehension (and the consensus here). However, I just found this description of the Audi drive select (Self Study Programme 644 - Audi A4 (type 8W), page 62) which seems to suggest otherwise...

Why do you think this suggests otherwise? Dynamic mode simply automatically activates the sport program as it says here, and D is available. This description is lacking somewhat, because S is also available in Comfort mode. In essence there are two programs, D and S. Their behavior is as described under the Auto mode. They always adapt to the driver type. If you gun it in D in Comfort mode, it will start shifting in a sporty manner, same in Auto and Dynamic. Any perceived throttle response difference in Auto/D vs Dynamic/D are simply due to driver type recognition. Generally one drives sportier in Dynamic even with the transmission in D, than they do in Comfort or Auto, and the transmission/throttle map adapts accordingly.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-03-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Why do you think this suggests otherwise? Dynamic mode simply automatically activates the sport program as it says here, and D is available. This description is lacking somewhat, because S is also available in Comfort mode. In essence there are two programs, D and S. Their behavior is as described under the Auto mode. They always adapt to the driver type. If you gun it in D in Comfort mode, it will start shifting in a sporty manner, same in Auto and Dynamic. Any perceived throttle response difference in Auto/D vs Dynamic/D are simply due to driver type recognition. Generally one drives sportier in Dynamic even with the transmission in D, than they do in Comfort or Auto, and the transmission/throttle map adapts accordingly.
Yeah, maybe it suggests nothing new in fact. I will need to reread it.

I don't understand why they don't make it clear that D/S is the same setting as the ADS powertrain mode. Also all settings have 3 modes (Comfort/Auto/Dynamic) when most most of them only have in fact two modes. Couldn't they use words like Normal, Sport, Quiet and Loud? And what about the name "Auto" that as nothing automatic.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So in the individual settings, when you set transmission to comfort, dynamic or auto, what does it change, if the only real settings are D and S?
Old 06-03-2019, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by belzebutt
So in the individual settings, when you set transmission to comfort, dynamic or auto, what does it change, if the only real settings are D and S?
Same as the other modes. If you set it to Dynamic and activate Individual mode, then S is activated immediately, otherwise D. Your user manual contains the following table, which sheds some more light on the characteristics of each setting. There you can see that the engine/transmission characteristics are the same in Comfort and Auto. The balanced characteristics correspond to D and the sporty corresponds to S.