Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Automatic Opening of Car When Approaching

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
I activated Auto Unlock as I approach with Carista-(beta tester for B9). Now courtesy lights come on, and all doors unlock as I approach. If i walk away, it will auto lock too. I could have set to all doors unlock or just drivers door.
Is there any way you can print out the coding for module 46 and the adaptations from Carista?
I've also coded both manuallly, I get no options in the MMI to control them, and Auto Unlock does NOT work at all....

Any help appreciated.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

I activated Auto Unlock as I approach with Carista-(beta tester for B9). Now courtesy lights come on, and all doors unlock as I approach. If i walk away, it will auto lock too. I could have set to all doors unlock or just drivers door.
What changes did you make? I have the auto closing set to active and it doesn't auto lock when I move away from the car.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With Carista, there is no coding. It’s app based. Just check a box “Enable Convenience Lock/Unlock”
Much easier than coding...
Old 05-22-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With Carista, there is no coding. It’s app based. Just check a box “Enable Convenience Lock/Unlock”
Much easier than coding...
Is there a list of available apps? When will the full version be available? Or is this something I can do now as a beta tester? I’d still love a list of apps though.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2019, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax1900
Is there a list of available apps? When will the full version be available? Or is this something I can do now as a beta tester? I’d still love a list of apps though.

Thanks
B9 is in beta mode, for Carista. I had an offer to join (used Carista on my MK1 Q5), but I had already moved on to OBD11, so didn’t pursue. You’ll also need a Carista supported dongle. A lot of up front investment without being assured that you’ll be able to join the beta. IMO OBD11 is much more robust of an option although carries slightly more of a premium.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ajax1900

Thanks
Hmm, I wonder what programming it changed to make the auto lock work.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
B9 is in beta mode, for Carista. I had an offer to join (used Carista on my MK1 Q5), but I had already moved on to OBD11, so didn’t pursue. You’ll also need a Carista supported dongle. A lot of up front investment without being assured that you’ll be able to join the beta. IMO OBD11 is much more robust of an option although carries slightly more of a premium.
Is there a way to enable auto unlock with OBD11?
Old 05-22-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok - here's an update on ALL of this, using OBD11.

I had enabled Auto Unlock/lock via OBD11 (no app actually appears for my 2018 RS5 - so I coded manually using the long coding options).

1) I initially coded ONLY Auto Unlock but found that the car would lock again too quickly.
2) I then realized I had also coded the comfort range limitation to off (I.e., the distance limitation removal for comfort windows, etc.).
3) By itself, this DID help as far as I could tell.
4) I then went back and coded Auto Lock. Initially, I did not think the auto lock on the car worked at all. Because my mind isn't that scientifically tuned these days, I realized I was testing the two features using different methods. Auto Unlock worked as I approached the car from the front. Auto lock did NOT work because I was initially approaching the car from the rear (garage wall issues). I found that ONLY Auto Unlock works when approaching from any direction, but auto lock ONLY works when walking away towards the FRONT of the vehicle.

While coding, I noticed something about rear comfort detection, or sensors, etc., that I cannot now find. I believe this is the second to last piece of the puzzle - if I can just find that setting. Has anyone who's successfully coded this, using the NON app method seen anything in 5F, 46 or the Central Lock module that indicates comfort sensors, distance sensors, etc., from the trunk/rear of the car? I KNOW it's in there somewhere.

The last piece of this puzzle is to find out how to get the settings for this to appear under central locking in the MMI - I cannot believe this has to be hard coded to the vehicle and isn't a user configurable feature once activated.....
Old 05-23-2019, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
The last piece of this puzzle is to find out how to get the settings for this to appear under central locking in the MMI - I cannot believe this has to be hard coded to the vehicle and isn't a user configurable feature once activated.....
On the B8/8.5 to get some of the extra things to appear on the MMI (such a rear view camera retrofitting) you needed to use the green screen/engineering mode to enable them, they weren't done through adaption channels or long coding. Maybe the B9 continues this?
Old 05-23-2019, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
Ok - here's an update on ALL of this, using OBD11.

I had enabled Auto Unlock/lock via OBD11 (no app actually appears for my 2018 RS5 - so I coded manually using the long coding options).

1) I initially coded ONLY Auto Unlock but found that the car would lock again too quickly.
2) I then realized I had also coded the comfort range limitation to off (I.e., the distance limitation removal for comfort windows, etc.).
3) By itself, this DID help as far as I could tell.
4) I then went back and coded Auto Lock. Initially, I did not think the auto lock on the car worked at all. Because my mind isn't that scientifically tuned these days, I realized I was testing the two features using different methods. Auto Unlock worked as I approached the car from the front. Auto lock did NOT work because I was initially approaching the car from the rear (garage wall issues). I found that ONLY Auto Unlock works when approaching from any direction, but auto lock ONLY works when walking away towards the FRONT of the vehicle.

While coding, I noticed something about rear comfort detection, or sensors, etc., that I cannot now find. I believe this is the second to last piece of the puzzle - if I can just find that setting. Has anyone who's successfully coded this, using the NON app method seen anything in 5F, 46 or the Central Lock module that indicates comfort sensors, distance sensors, etc., from the trunk/rear of the car? I KNOW it's in there somewhere.

Hmm. I can’t seem to my car to lock no matter what direction I leave. Still waiting to hear back from the Audi techs.

Quick Reply: Automatic Opening of Car When Approaching