Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

AWE versus Milltek exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default AWE versus Milltek exhaust

My S5 seems to accelerate a lot faster than my previous SQ5 but everything is so muted that flooring it is not even fun. :-)

So I'm now considering to install a AWE or Milltek exhaust. But after reading most thread I still have a few questions...

Which one offer the most refined sound?
How their sound level compare to the stock exhaust? In fact, which one is the quieter?
Also, I really don't want drone so should I eliminate one?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

In general, I would say that the Milltek systems are bit quieter but provide a more deeper tone compared to AWE.
They both have options that allow the OE valves to be reused and maintain the different levels of loudness between modes.
They both have resonated and non-resonated options where the resonated option would help with any drone.

What are you looking for? Moderately louder than stock? Much louder?

Old 05-22-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport
In general, I would say that the Milltek systems are bit quieter but provide a more deeper tone compared to AWE.
They both have options that allow the OE valves to be reused and maintain the different levels of loudness between modes.
They both have resonated and non-resonated options where the resonated option would help with any drone.

What are you looking for? Moderately louder than stock? Much louder?
I definitely want something that can be as quiet and drone free as the stock exhaust (with the valves open). It can be a little louder, but I don't want any drone. Otherwise, I want something that can be louder and if possible, refined and with a deeper tone. It could drone but not like crazy.

Thanks for you post!
Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the non-resonated Milltek exhaust on my B9 S5, and love it. So far, I haven't experienced any drone since the installation and the tone has some pronounced depth. I also really like the design/style of the exhaust tips (cerakote black oval tips). I guess it depends on what you're looking for. The AWE exhausts seem to look more aggressive with a louder sound.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Based on some pretty extensive experience in cat back land, I would say many people go for non resonated because they are afraid resonated will be too quiet.

I did exactly the same on a milltek turboback on my golf r. What I got was way, way too loud! But for a few hundred bucks I bought the resonated section and put it in and the car was great. Loud when I wanted it to be, fairly quiet and composed otherwise.

I've seen lots of people say the exact setup I had ( non resonated) and claim it had "no drone". Absolutely wrong, I don't know if those people had damaged hearing, but the car droned bad, not an s5, but a pretty good illustration of the widely varying opinions people can have. When I had other people in the car they would comment on how drone-y it was.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Based on some pretty extensive experience in cat back land, I would say many people go for non resonated because they are afraid resonated will be too quiet.

I did exactly the same on a milltek turboback on my golf r. What I got was way, way too loud! But for a few hundred bucks I bought the resonated section and put it in and the car was great. Loud when I wanted it to be, fairly quiet and composed otherwise.

I've seen lots of people say the exact setup I had ( non resonated) and claim it had "no drone". Absolutely wrong, I don't know if those people had damaged hearing, but the car droned bad, not an s5, but a pretty good illustration of the widely varying opinions people can have. When I had other people in the car they would comment on how drone-y it was.
Thanks for this different view.

On my SQ5, I had a slip-on (only the rear mufflers) and I was very happy. So I assume a complete cat back that remove mid sections and resonators would be too loud or drone-y. I think I would wait until Magnaflow release their slip-on.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Thanks for this different view.

On my SQ5, I had a slip-on (only the rear mufflers) and I was very happy. So I assume a complete cat back that remove mid sections and resonators would be too loud or drone-y. I think I would wait until Magnaflow release their slip-on.
Both AWE and Milltek offer resonated versions that replace the OE mid section resonators.