Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B9 S5 Strut Brace

Old 02-11-2019, 08:50 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by A5Newbie
Installed mine as well this last Friday, overall pretty simple process, but no idea what genius decided to put the allen bolts underneath the brace, a big pain to install, didn't bother torquing them to spec.
Having looked at another shock tower brace, from a well known and respected after-market company, and their allen bolts were on the top of the brace I was left to wonder if ECS did it to possibly prevent a lawsuit? No ideas if this is the reason but it might explain the decision. The ECS, on-sale, was about 1/3 the price of the other brand.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Having looked at another shock tower brace, from a well known and respected after-market company, and their allen bolts were on the top of the brace I was left to wonder if ECS did it to possibly prevent a lawsuit? No ideas if this is the reason but it might explain the decision. The ECS, on-sale, was about 1/3 the price of the other brand.
Based on their install PDF it makes it sound like they put the bolts on the bottom (hidden hardware) to maintain a clean, aesthetically pleasing look.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
Based on their install PDF it makes it sound like they put the bolts on the bottom (hidden hardware) to maintain a clean, aesthetically pleasing look.
So I guess they went for form over function, for something that is primarily function related that most people will only look at a couple of times a year. Makes perfect sense!!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by A5Newbie
So I guess they went for form over function, for something that is primarily function related that most people will only look at a couple of times a year. Makes perfect sense!!
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of after market parts that live under the hood that use seem do more form then I think they should really be doing. For example, all the carbon fiber intakes and covers. I get it if you're doing car shows or something but I would rather have an injected plastic form intake saving the cost of using carbon fiber.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by heymoe
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of after market parts that live under the hood that use seem do more form then I think they should really be doing. For example, all the carbon fiber intakes and covers. I get it if you're doing car shows or something but I would rather have an injected plastic form intake saving the cost of using carbon fiber.
X2. Personally I’ve never seen the “value” of CF in any vehicle, but everyone is different. The “cost versus value” has never appealed to me.

Buy what makes you happy — life is short.

— John
Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I’ll bet that’s the one I have. I happen to like the look and the bolts on top did make the install very easy. For the price difference though, this is the one I’d get.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

It's pretty funny because on a lot of platforms the molded plastic intake still costs the same as the CF one. Its a lot cheaper to make a functional wet-layup CF mold than a working plastic injection mold Even cheaper still to mandrel bend an alu tube and slap a cone filter w/ formed sheet metal heat shield on the end.

As far as the bolt location of this part, its probably why it's on sale - ECS probably changed the design.

Since when is an exposed hex-cap bolt detrimental to the look of an engine bay?

Last edited by ArvX147; 02-11-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by NJS5

I’ll bet that’s the one I have. I happen to like the look and the bolts on top did make the install very easy. For the price difference though, this is the one I’d get.
034 Is the one I looked at:

But @ $395 — and they are both made from the same material — versus the sub-$100 price of the ECS and my previous experiences with ECS products, made my choice very easy.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

That’s the one

and it’s on a Coupe

Last edited by NJS5; 02-11-2019 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by NJS5

That’s the one

and it’s on a Coupe

Us Coupe members have to stick together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: B9 S5 Strut Brace