Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B9 S5 Strut Brace

Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I got to drive my car today, felt a lot more precise on the steering despite the winter tires. In big sweeper turns you can really feel it. Very happy.

Install note, this was one of the easiest mods I have ever installed on a car. I can see how some might have trouble if they are inexperienced at wrenching. One thing to note is that when getting the allen key into the underside bolts, you need to use the long end first and use one finger on your non wrench hand to guide the wrench into the bolt. Once you tighten with the long end its easy to go back with the short end and tighten the 4 bolts even more. Access to the bolts is not impeded at all so if you are having trouble getting the tool in there you're doing something wrong technique wise.

I was able to tighten both sides to a fixed position very quickly, I then just lifted the front of the brace up to access the bolts (~30 degree angle) with my torque wrench, finally applying the brace point bolts.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I then just lifted the front of the brace up to access the bolts (~30 degree angle) with my torque wrench, finally applying the brace point bolts.
Excellent idea. I did mine in a similar fashion but did not have the foresight to leave the side brace forward nuts loose / off to enable raising the unit for easier access to the underside cap screws. I got it done, but that would have made it much easier. Side note, if you have a 6mm allen socket it makes quick work of getting the cap screws finger tight before the tightening phase.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Just installed mine yesterday, I was able to torque the hex headed bolts underneath using my short torque wrench and a universal joint. There was only a very small loss of blood involved.

Only driven it to work this morning but, I *think* it is a positive improvement, especially in turns where you switch from right to left like around a roundabout and then taking the exit (and I have the cabriolet, which seemed to handle much better than my old B8 Coupe anyway). All just seems a little bit more precise and controlled. I'm also happy to kid myself that this is the case :-)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

I also just installed my strut brace. It's really not that hard. I used the previously suggested method..... Loosely install into the vehicle all three parts as one unit. Snug down the passenger side underside allen bolts with an allen key. Take all out as a unit and torque the passenger side. Reinstall and torque the four factory mounts. Then use the torque wrench with a universal to tighten the driver's side two allen bolts. It's tight in there, but not that bad.

Installed during a 14" snow + 50mph wind blizzard. No chance to test yet - most roads are still closed.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

As an interesting aside, I have right now a loan A5 from the dealer and the factory strut brace is different to the one that was on my S5.

A5 - Silver, two bars, not apparently joined together.
S5 - Black, one piece, joined together with a cross piece near the apex.

So the S5 already had an up-rated strut brace, which I was unaware of. I wonder if the RS5 had an even better one from the factory or the same as the S5?
Old 02-27-2019, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paradyne
As an interesting aside, I have right now a loan A5 from the dealer and the factory strut brace is different to the one that was on my S5.

A5 - Silver, two bars, not apparently joined together.
S5 - Black, one piece, joined together with a cross piece near the apex.

So the S5 already had an up-rated strut brace, which I was unaware of. I wonder if the RS5 had an even better one from the factory or the same as the S5?
Looking at your profile, it looks like you have the cabriolet? Maybe that gets an upgraded strut brace? I would be curious to see a picture of that and what audi charges for it.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Trex1200r
Looking at your profile, it looks like you have the cabriolet? Maybe that gets an upgraded strut brace? I would be curious to see a picture of that and what audi charges for it.
+1.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ah, I hadn't thought it might be cabriolet specific but that would make sense. I will get a photo of it and the part number.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

The part number was 8W7 805 629 A.

An unexpected issue today, got a letter from FedEx about the import taxes and their fee for collecting them, another £37 on the price :-(

Old 03-04-2019, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. If and when the sale ends on the ECS site this looks like another alternative. Not as beefy or pretty as the aftermarket solutions but a welded cross bracket should add some strength when compared to the two silver bars that came stock on my S5 Sportback. OEM center reinforced strut brace . Thanks Paradyne.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: B9 S5 Strut Brace