Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Beginning of the end (of my lease) what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning of the end (of my lease) what's next?

I got my 2018 S5 Cab on memorial day weekend in 2017. So I've got 11 1/2 months left with it.

Basically have loved driving this car.... Probably the only thing I don't like is the horrible job NYS does in "maintaining" roads in Northern Westchester County NY (and I live in the same town as Governor Cuomo!) which has caused an unreal amount of bent rims. The wheel insurance was THE best $ spent by me. I have not modified anything on this car. If i were keeping it, I'd have done the lower profile rear headrests, wrapped a bunch of the aluminium trim with blackout and put in a performance chip. Otherwise I am right on target to come in at 18,000 miles per year.

I have a house in Vermont and this car has been incredible to drive (with 19" snow tires) up to ski and frankly one of the best features is the ability to drop one or both of the rear seats and just slide my skis or kids board right in. I did add a hitch mount carrier which will be removed.

so, the question - what to get next?
next May the S5 will be a 2020 model? what's going to be different?(can someone point me to the right thread?) touch screen? (I'd like that!) black optics? looks like it's still not available in the US. RS5 Cab? looks like that really isn't happening. 2021 mid year model update, might be worth extending my lease if something is coming...
other cars??
having something that does well in snow is important, so that is limiting on droptops and I AM a droptop guy. I could always go with a hardtop as I have a jeep I keep in VT and could bring home for drop top summers..
911 cabrio - just not going to spend the $, and skis don't fit well
918 boxter - same ski issue how is it in snow? have heard you can get up to x length skis inside for a short a ride
M4 AWD 2021, this is THE one car I am looking at. I've always loved the look of the M3/4 over the Audi S, but have loved the RS equally, no RS Cab makes it an easy choice if BMW doesn't F-up the look of the new car. Spy shots appear to only be the regular 4 series cab body thus far.
Benz - think the AMG C series which is where I'd think i would be is Fugly, so a non starter
any other ideas, thoughts/commetns
Old 06-14-2019, 06:32 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd go with a new A7
Old 06-14-2019, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've also been a convertible's-only guy for the last 20 years or so (a little easier in California) and try to keep abreast of what's out there and coming in that segment, and it looks like you hit most of the candidates.

I agree that the C series is fugly - it looks like a rolling bathtub to me - but the new E53 is somewhat interesting. And it does have 50/50 split rear seats. It would be a natural competitor to the B9 RS5 cabriolet that is unlikely to ever exist.

Regarding the M4: Several cars ago, I had a 2011 E93 M3-cabriolet (the 8-cylinder) which I enjoyed but I wouldn't recommend M3/4 ownership to everyone. The car is very much a magnet for a) cops b) juvenile/aggressive behavior from other drivers. There is also an uncommonly high number of M3/4s being driven in a douchebag manner; so a bit of the stereotype is deserved.

Maybe you should just get a second-car for skiing/non-convertible days. The new Z4 sDrive M40i is relatively cheap fully-loaded and has some pretty impressive performance numbers for convertible days.

Last edited by WasSD18S5CAB; 06-14-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by N8!
I'd go with a new A7
guess you missed the whole convertible concept..
Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WasSD18S5CAB
I've also been a convertible's-only guy for the last 20 years or so (a little easier in California) and try to keep abreast of what's out there and coming in that segment, and it looks like you hit most of the candidates.

I agree that the C series is fugly - it looks like a rolling bathtub to me - but the new E53 is somewhat interesting. And it does have 50/50 split rear seats. It would be a natural competitor to the B9 RS5 cabriolet that is unlikely to ever exist.

Regarding the M4: Several cars ago, I had a 2011 E93 M3-cabriolet (the 8-cylinder) which I enjoyed but I wouldn't recommend M3/4 ownership to everyone. The car is very much a magnet for a) cops b) juvenile/aggressive behavior from other drivers. There is also an uncommonly high number of M3/4s being driven in a douchebag manner; so a bit of the stereotype is deserved.

Maybe you should just get a second-car for skiing/non-convertible days. The new Z4 sDrive M40i is relatively cheap fully-loaded and has some pretty impressive performance numbers for convertible days.
agree with you on the "personality" of many M3/4 drivers. given that i have a jeep in VT and am moving in with Fiance who has a Crossover, I am guessing snow performance becomes less of a need. but it's still a want. wish they'd bring us black optics & a RS5Cab to market!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

If you feel the S5 is still incredible, why not buy out the lease and keep it?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JLoft
If you feel the S5 is still incredible, why not buy out the lease and keep it?
it's actually not a great value proposition unless i am going to really keep the car for many years. as these cars age, many things start to go and when they go, they aren't cheap to fix. a friend once modeled out owning vs leasing for 8 years down to the details of getting a new set of brakes/tires and other wearables with the new leases and it was negligibly different. Plus I can write the lease off on my biz and am essentially paying pre-tax$.
if the new M4 looks anything like the old, I'll probably go that direction. The Ms and the RSs always looked "right" to me. Also, see my comment above about rear window delaminations on the past series of cabs. it's around a $4k fix
Old 06-14-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

Mines coming up next Oct but I may just get another one or a RS5SB. Absolutely hated the touch control on the new A7. will get you killed operating it if you don't have driver assist and adaptive cruise turned on.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by triguy914
it's actually not a great value proposition unless i am going to really keep the car for many years. as these cars age, many things start to go and when they go, they aren't cheap to fix. a friend once modeled out owning vs leasing for 8 years down to the details of getting a new set of brakes/tires and other wearables with the new leases and it was negligibly different. Plus I can write the lease off on my biz and am essentially paying pre-tax$.
if the new M4 looks anything like the old, I'll probably go that direction. The Ms and the RSs always looked "right" to me. Also, see my comment above about rear window delaminations on the past series of cabs. it's around a $4k fix
Even ignoring the repair calcs, as your new accountant (I do part time at a CPA office) I get it as a business expense.

On the other hand I find a vehicle i like and keep it a long time. Luckily that has always worked out for me.