Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Best bets for winter tires for New England?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best bets for winter tires for New England?

2018 S5 Cabrio with the 19” wheels, if that matters. This will be my first winter with it so need to get some appropriate skins and wheels. I live in the city and don’t daily drive, so I’d be a little biased towards a tire that has somewhat more dry performance versus maximum snow/ice capability.

Also, kind of a goofy question, but can I fit four mounted tires in the car? Just planning ahead for driving somewhere to pick them up and needing to bring my summer wheels/tires back for storage.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Prevailing logic is since you’re buying wheels & tires, step down to an 18” wheel and tire. This should give you a taller sidewall and (hopefully) prevent wheel damage when the potholes appear in the later winter & spring.

There are several Winter Tire Threads in the forum for the B9 cars if you search back a page or two.

Found the thread — Winter Wheels & Tires

Last edited by Nikon1; 11-10-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

If you mostly going to be driving on cold and/or wet roads with just the occasional drive in semi-plowed snowy roads, then I would recommend taking a look at the Michelin Alpin PA4. The tire is extremely quiet and comfortable with excellent grip in the cold that doesn't turn into greasy mush during the occasional warm days that you will frequently get at the end of winter and beginning of spring. It also is competent enough to get through real snow when you need to.

However, if you need to make regular trips out during snow storms or right afterwards before the roads are properly plowed, then consider something along the lines of a Hakka, Blizzak or X-Ice, all of which will give you a better bite in snow but at the expense of a noisier tread pattern and less traction whenever the temps start to climb into the 50's.

I concur on the 18" wheels for the winter too. Less protection from potholes, and cheaper for both wheel and tire when even that protection is not enough.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak

I concur on the 18" wheels for the winter too. Less protection from potholes, and cheaper for both wheel and tire when even that protection is not enough.
I think he meant more protection from potholes and, if size your tires on the 18” wheels correctly, you’ll get better traction on a slightly narrower tire.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I went with an 18” setup from Tire Rack with the Michelin X-Ice studdless snow tires. They have excellent dry, wet and snow traction yet still handle ok in back twisting back country roads. Here’s the link https://www.tirerack.com/cart/HoldingArea.jsp

Tire Rack shipped them mounted and balanced with the centering rings installed and the 20 lug bolts that match the rims. The final product looks like this

Last edited by heisnuts; 11-10-2018 at 06:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
demarad1 (08-29-2019)
Old 11-10-2018, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I think he meant more protection from potholes and, if size your tires on the 18” wheels correctly, you’ll get better traction on a slightly narrower tire.
That is what I meant. You are also correct about tire width. 19's come in 255 width and the 18's are 245, so about 4% narrower.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Too sweet looking rims for winter!! LOL!

Originally Posted by heisnuts

I went with an 18” setup from Tire Rack with the Michelin X-Ice studdless snow tires. They have excellent dry, wet and snow traction yet still handle ok in back twisting back country roads. Here’s the link https://www.tirerack.com/cart/HoldingArea.jsp

Tire Rack shipped them mounted and balanced with the centering rings installed and the 20 lug bolts that match the rims. The final product looks like this
I got tire rack snows (Michelin X-Ice...nice tire BTW) on cheapo MilleMiglia rims and they've proved just as sturdy as OEM BMW M3 forged rims....the center caps have deteriorated in 15 years so I replaced them with eBay ones. X-Ice ARE squirmy and feel much looser than the Pilots I run in spring/summer/fall. One thing...snows get much harder in four-five years (ask me how I know this) and will spin (not on wheel..on the ground) with too much power. Replace them when you can smoke them! Have fun....
Old 11-11-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
X-Ice ARE squirmy and feel much looser than the Pilots I run in spring/summer/fall.
This is why I went for the Alpin PS4's this time around. I realized that I actually spent very little time driving on snow due to how quickly the roads get cleared in NJ. On the other hand, I found that I was spending a LOT of time driving around on warm dry roads in the Spring when the temperatures would climb into the 60's for days at a time followed by a quick snow storm that negated the ability to switch back to the summer tires any time before late March. The Alpin's have no squirm at all, not even when it gets warm.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default agreed...

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
This is why I went for the Alpin PS4's this time around. I realized that I actually spent very little time driving on snow due to how quickly the roads get cleared in NJ. On the other hand, I found that I was spending a LOT of time driving around on warm dry roads in the Spring when the temperatures would climb into the 60's for days at a time followed by a quick snow storm that negated the ability to switch back to the summer tires any time before late March. The Alpin's have no squirm at all, not even when it gets warm.
But I don't find any huge difference between Alpins and Sottozeros. My impression over my past few sets is that Alpins are a little quieter and I marginally prefer Alpins on dry roads and Sottozeros in the wet. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=181

Old 11-11-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the Pilot Alpin PA4 would be a good fit for me. Does this combo look right? 18x8 wheel and 245/40R18 tire. Selected the Enkei wheel because it's one of the lightest, not sure if there is a stronger choice as I know a lot of these cheaper cast wheels aren't the most robust. I don't have a problem spending a little more for quality.

Quick Reply: Best bets for winter tires for New England?