Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A better 6.5inch front door speaker mount for the B9 and B9.5 A4/S4/RS4/A5/S5/RS5

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts
Default A better 6.5inch front door speaker mount for the B9 and B9.5 A4/S4/RS4/A5/S5/RS5

After reading my journey here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...akers-3003820/ someone in the UK asked me to help them put together some door speaker sets.
Each set of doors needs just 4/5 parts.
1. The speakers themselves (doh!) I recommend using normal 6.5 inch (165mm) speakers because of the vast choice available.
2. The speaker spacer, also called adapter or mount.
3. A drip guard for the rear of the speaker to avoid the water splashing into the rear of the speaker.
4. Speaker baffle to seal the speaker with the door card. But I would actually recommend getting the one piece silicon baffle and drip guard. And definitely don't use the open cell foam speaker rings.
5. The connector to mate with the car's harness. This is a custom part that I have managed to source in the UK.

I tell people to stay away from the 8inch speakers in the front because of the poor choice of speaker drivers and the silicon baffles available in the market. So we decided on using 6.5inch matching speakers on both front and rear doors. Now the rear doors are quite simple because ready made spacers are available and you can read about what is required here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25504887

The front speaker mounts are a bit of a mine field. I have bought and tested so many.

The best speaker mount according to me is the Basser DMaudi03 MDF speaker mounts. They are well made and have the speaker mounting to front face of the mount. However these are MDF and with the UK weather, not the best in terms of longevity.
The next best plastic speaker mount is the Connects2
CT25AU14 https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT25AU14 Strangely it is sold for the A3 and Q5 but not the A4/A5. But it does work, quite well actually. The only issue for me was the fact that the speaker sinks into the mount and that could mean that depending on the diameter of the speakers or the silicon baffle, you might struggle to get it to work.
So I proceeded to try and build a front door speaker mount that I would have liked myself but for a 6.5inch speaker.

Last edited by bruce_miranda; 02-08-2021 at 12:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bruce_miranda:
Jas9 (02-07-2021), kdagher (02-07-2021), Nikon1 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I needed 3 parts to build a better front door speaker mount.
1. My favourite readily available plastic mount is from Aliexpress. The only issue with this is it's a bit too short and suffers from the same issue as the Connect2 mount, in that the speaker sinks into the mount.
2. A generic 6.5inch speaker ring.
3. Some 10mm nylon spacers that sit between the speaker ring and the speaker mount.

The generic speaker rings fits absolutely perfectly over the speaker mount. I glued some 10mm nylon spacers on to the generic speaker ring screw holes. This makes sure you don't crack the speaker ring when you tighten the speaker screws. It's more belt and braces than absolutely needed, but I like to do things correctly.
I then used flexible silicone glue to stick the speaker ring to the speaker mount. The reason I used this glue is to make sure there was no plastic on plastic rubbing, while still allowing some movement. The end result is a front door speaker mount that won't be affected by moisture. It also brings the speaker as close to the door card as possible, and the speaker mounts on the top surface, exactly how I like it on the Basser mount. The silicon baffle is installed between the speaker and mount, and that avoids the need for another foam barrier to be used between the speaker and the mount. All that is then needed is some thin foam between the mount and the door.

See the pictures below, and hopefully this gives people who live in wet climate another option for a front door speaker mount.

Last edited by bruce_miranda; 02-07-2021 at 04:14 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by bruce_miranda:
Ethamel (02-07-2021), Jas9 (02-07-2021), kdagher (02-07-2021), Nikon1 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

See how the mount got used.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25555373
Old 02-22-2021, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Bruce,
Could you please repost the number for the front door speaker connectors. Are they the same as the rear door woofer?
Thanks
Len

Last edited by Len Ferrara; 02-22-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There isn't one. It's a custom part which is produced by a local UK based company.
But you use the Metra connector linked to in Bobby's spreadsheet. Or use the OEM connector which has the double hump and strip out the middle ridge. I've given that part number in my door speaker thread.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I have to take better notes on this stuff and organize them.
I used the Metra's for the rear and did just that.
Sorry.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I needed 3 parts to build a better front door speaker mount.
1. My favourite readily available plastic mount is from Aliexpress. The only issue with this is it's a bit too short and suffers from the same issue as the Connect2 mount, in that the speaker sinks into the mount.
2. A generic 6.5inch speaker ring.
3. Some 10mm nylon spacers that sit between the speaker ring and the speaker mount.

The generic speaker rings fits absolutely perfectly over the speaker mount. I glued some 10mm nylon spacers on to the generic speaker ring screw holes. This makes sure you don't crack the speaker ring when you tighten the speaker screws. It's more belt and braces than absolutely needed, but I like to do things correctly.
I then used flexible silicone glue to stick the speaker ring to the speaker mount. The reason I used this glue is to make sure there was no plastic on plastic rubbing, while still allowing some movement. The end result is a front door speaker mount that won't be affected by moisture. It also brings the speaker as close to the door card as possible, and the speaker mounts on the top surface, exactly how I like it on the Basser mount. The silicon baffle is installed between the speaker and mount, and that avoids the need for another foam barrier to be used between the speaker and the mount. All that is then needed is some thin foam between the mount and the door.

See the pictures below, and hopefully this gives people who live in wet climate another option for a front door speaker mount.

Hi Bruce, does the speaker ring just sit on top or slot in inside the adapter? I ordered the same adapter from aliexpress but the speaker ring does not fit inside. can you please share a link for the speaker ring? Do you think something like this would fit?
Amazon Amazon

thanks

Last edited by stephen7987; 08-26-2022 at 11:34 PM.