Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Black/Red S5 SB - Questions about exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default According to Audi - even the new RS5 has piped in sound...

“At low revs, the engine makes nearly no sound,” Reil says. “So, from idle to 3,000 rpm, we have a sound actor mounted at the base of the windshield to make low frequency sounds.”

Read more: 2018 Audi RS5 first drive review with specifications, photos and pricing information

I was waiting to comment again until I could find a quote from an Audi rep and not a reporter....
Old 07-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a good summary article here:https://www.carthrottle.com/post/5-w...of-their-cars/

Why would the S5 not have the Soundaktor if the SQ5 has it? In BMW, its even worst as it is reproduced sound. But you can cancel by removing fuse on several cars. So how do I know if I have the Soundaktor or not?

I will give you my 7 year experience with my previous S5 cab 2010 silver pearl compared with my 1 month experience with the NEW 2018 S5 cab Daytona grey pearl finish. Not the same. I miss the double clutch.

The supercharge double clutch sounded awesome at any revolution. Mostly at 0-50kms. You felt in control of the power plant. There were occasional transmission slips but was a great driving experience. The turbocharge ZF transmission bundle just doesn't augment the experience. its all about handling high torque and saving fuel based on Jalopnik reporting:
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

I guess the next step is a twincharged double clutch beast - the best of all worlds. No need to play with exhaust sound on this
Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by angelboy
Why would the S5 not have the Soundaktor if the SQ5 has it?
The S5 does have a soundaktor. You can adjust the volume from 255 (100%) to 0 (disabled) using ODB11. I recently turned it off on mine to see how noticeable it is, and will re-enable it to see what my impression is after getting used to it being off. One thing I did notice is that the engine/exhaust sound is almost completely focused from the rear now. It sounds a bit unbalanced, the same sort of feeling as if I set the audio fader to use only the rear speakers. So I suspect that once I re-enable it I will probably choose to keep it that way, although I might end up turning the volume down just a bit.

ODB11 will also allow you to run a test cycle which will cause it to run through the full frequency range. You can really feel the firewall by your feet vibrate when it does this. Oddly though it's not a low frequency vibration, more of a mid range sound that get's produced. This test basically proves that the soundaktor is nothing more than an electronically driven speaker, just one that uses the firewall and windshield to transmit vibration through the air.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is the setting buried in OBD11?
Old 07-19-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stankia
Where is the setting buried in OBD11?
Module A9 - Structure Borne Sound
Go to adaptations, there is only one option, volume.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What's the default setting on the Adaptation value on Module A9 volume? When I access it via ODB11, it's blank. I'm afraid that if I change a value and don't like it, I want to make sure to set it to the default value.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Caifan805
What's the default setting on the Adaptation value on Module A9 volume? When I access it via ODB11, it's blank. I'm afraid that if I change a value and don't like it, I want to make sure to set it to the default value.
255 which is equal to 100%. The current value will be shown, you probably just didn't click the right spot on the screen. ODB11's interface can be a little confusing at times. When you load the A9 module screen there is a search option at the very top and just underneath that is an option that says "Volume of struct-borne noise actuator". It looks like the search bar is the input field for the volume option, it' not. You need to click the "Volume" text which will bring you to the input field that will show you the current setting and allow you to modify it.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drvai
Shame they don't offer the performance exhaust. The S5 competitors do (C43 and 440).
Having driven the C43amg in test drive up to ordering Audi S4/5, it is a beautiful sound with a remote switch on the console. What could be more convenient for exhaust sounds?
BMW in their upcoming M 340i 2019and current 2018 440i are gunning for a more aggressive engine, transmission,and body style in this price range.
The fight is on between S series, amg, and M line.
According to AWE their exhaust systems for Audi S4/5 will be available Sept-November .
The price to upgrade the Mercedes is around $1500 as standalone option.
Looking at AWE site they are a range of $1800-2200 depending on size and color of exhaust pipes.
Perhaps Audi cut back on price and noise of exhaust depending on how boisterous the owner wanted his vehicle.
Indeed for those who want power and quiet you have stock.
For the rest of us Milltek or AWE provide all the custom exhaust noise your little heart desires.
For me I can choose the luxury of an Audi S series and add the thunder without resorting to artificial soundaktor.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

njspeedfreak: Is the functionality you're referring to contained in the Voltas IT OBDeleven software for the 2017 S5?