Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

brake pad warning at 2000 mi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Are you sure? The visible edge of new pads is tapered and does not touch. This is done to help prevent squeal.
One side has new groves and the other has the original groves when it was originally machined. You can see it, feel it and hear it when rubbing a nail across the surface.

Water residue was still on the rotor, while the other side was scrapped off during my drive home from washing my rims.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a pic of the rotor in question.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Pads sometimes take a few miles to seat to rotors and thus leave some areas “un scrubbed”. If that is not the case then you have a frozen caliper that did not come back into position after retracting for the new pads. Moderate to heavy braking would exhibit a pull to one side ( the one with good brakes) though.
I would think you would notice that. Still, get it checked.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Pads sometimes take a few miles to seat to rotors and thus leave some areas “un scrubbed”. If that is not the case then you have a frozen caliper that did not come back into position after retracting for the new pads. Moderate to heavy braking would exhibit a pull to one side ( the one with good brakes) though.
I would think you would notice that. Still, get it checked.
This was actually done a few weeks ago. I’ve put on quite a few miles. I have not noticed any pull when braking. Oddly enough I have not noticed a decline in braking.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I took the car back to the place where I had the brakes/rotors changed. They came to a conclusion that the pad was not making contact due to air in the lines or “some issue with the caliber”. They claimed to have bled the brakes and recorded an even temperature on both right and left rotors. I went to a reputable shop out here, I’ll hold on mentioning them until I have additional findings.

there is very little brake dust on the passenger side, so I find it hard to believe the issue has been resolved. They don’t believe any of their work caused the issue and charged $84 to diagnose and bleed.

i have my 30k appointment at Audi next week. I’ll have them take a look.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by amademann
I took the car back to the place where I had the brakes/rotors changed. They came to a conclusion that the pad was not making contact due to air in the lines or “some issue with the caliber”. They claimed to have bled the brakes and recorded an even temperature on both right and left rotors. I went to a reputable shop out here, I’ll hold on mentioning them until I have additional findings.

there is very little brake dust on the passenger side, so I find it hard to believe the issue has been resolved. They don’t believe any of their work caused the issue and charged $84 to diagnose and bleed.

i have my 30k appointment at Audi next week. I’ll have them take a look.
They charged you to look at the work they just did?

Did you get a kiss with that?
The following users liked this post:
Slides (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah... 034 Motorsports. I was going to wait until after I had Audi look things over to mention the name of the shop.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Lmao, 034 wtf.

All shops that are worth working with give a 1000mi warranty on their work. They do work on the brakes, the brakes have to work right when they leave the shop.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2015 S5 just has the two lights (brake and brake pad symbol) comes on today for a car that just has 19.9K miles. It is totally unexpected for less than 20K of driving. has anyone else has this issue with their S5???
Old 11-14-2019, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vis2k_s5
my 2015 S5 just has the two lights (brake and brake pad symbol) comes on today for a car that just has 19.9K miles. It is totally unexpected for less than 20K of driving. has anyone else has this issue with their S5???
Yes -- see my original post that started this thread :-)

Quick Reply: brake pad warning at 2000 mi?