Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Brake pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
I'm talking about when I'm approaching fast stopping traffic, and Pre-Sense flashes at me because ACC can no longer slow down fast enough and I have to take over... At that point, the brake pedal feels like a brick. It still works, but just feels weird.
Yes that's normal, because the brakes are already applied at that point. It just asks for additional pressure from the driver, but ACC "stepped" on the brake pedal for you already. Same happens if it initiates automatic emergency braking on your behalf. By the time you react you'll find the brake pedal already partially depressed. You get used to it after a while.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 647 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by sirluca7
Back to OP’s question: YES. I have this exact thing you’re describing on my RS5 SB. It’s as if some part of the pedal mechanism is slipping/resisting a little as I depress, then after an inch or so of pedal travel it feels totally normal. I’ve had this since new and I’ve pointed it out several times during various service visits but they just think I’m crazy. It’s subtle, but it bothers me - a lot.
Exactly! There is some resistance but more of a gritty resistance (vs pressure based resistance). It's very noticeable when inching along in traffic where I'm just feathering the brake pedal.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Exactly! There is some resistance but more of a gritty resistance (vs pressure based resistance). It's very noticeable when inching along in traffic where I'm just feathering the brake pedal.
Add me to the list....I've had this since new as well too but it doesn't bother me too much. Most of the time I don't notice it. It feels like some friction within the brake pedal.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 647 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by billrs5
Add me to the list....I've had this since new as well too but it doesn't bother me too much. Most of the time I don't notice it. It feels like some friction within the brake pedal.
It's good to hear that it's not just my car. I'll probably forget about it now that I know it may be common (whether it's an issue or not who knows...I doubt I would ever be able to get the dealership to notice or acknowledge that it is anything but normal).