Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Brand New S5 - Paint Protection Film Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I'm so glad I asked for opinions - what a thrill to see all your gorgeous cars! I'm learning so much from your comments.

I've made the decision to go full hood -- though Tim Bartlett if that's a partial hood, you'd never know! And now I know to ask that it not be in three pieces.

Thank you all SO much.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly P
Wow, I'm so glad I asked for opinions - what a thrill to see all your gorgeous cars! I'm learning so much from your comments.

I've made the decision to go full hood -- though Tim Bartlett if that's a partial hood, you'd never know! And now I know to ask that it not be in three pieces.

Thank you all SO much.
Good choice. I remembered that I took a picture of the port-installed partial hood PPF before removing and replacing it.

Granted that I was trying to get the worst possible angle, but it would have driven me nuts.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Good choice. I remembered that I took a picture of the port-installed partial hood PPF before removing and replacing it
Granted that I was trying to get the worst possible angle, but it would have driven me nuts.
Yep - I'm with you ... can't handle the seam. Just can't. I called the shop yesterday in advance of my Wednesday appointment to break the full hood news to him - lol.

Also, gotta say, I really love the RS black grill on the S5s. Really gorgeous. All of your cars look spectacular!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True thoughts between Llumar, Scotchgard Pro, and XPel Ultimate? Want the best protection, but minimal orange peel.
I have SunTek on most of my 2016 Denali, but am not that impressed with it. Seems thin, and have had 2 nicks(in film only)
from rocks.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieFlo
True thoughts between Llumar, Scotchgard Pro, and XPel Ultimate? Want the best protection, but minimal orange peel.
I have SunTek on most of my 2016 Denali, but am not that impressed with it. Seems thin, and have had 2 nicks(in film only)
from rocks.
I am happy with my Llumar, but I don't have a good comparison basis as this is the first vehicle I used PPF on. My installer used to use Xpel. He claimed when Xpel moved their manufacturing to N.C., he had some quality issues. He switched to Llumar and never looked back. Also said Llumar was more expensive for him to purchase.

I'm sure whatever issues Xpel may or may not have had are long resolved, as it appears to be one of the most popular high-end films. I'm guessing there is little to no difference between Llumar and XPel. Scotchgard is likely up there as well - seeing how Xpel had to agree to acquire a licence from 3M for a patent infringement issue.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WillieFlo
I have SunTek on most of my 2016 Denali, but am not that impressed with it. Seems thin, and have had 2 nicks(in film only)My
from rocks.
My detailer does both XPel and Llumar. I came in thinking I wanted Xpel and he would gladly provide that but he told me he thinks Llumar (who bought Suntek) was better and that that's what he has on his own car. He said that XPel is a good product but really good at marketing.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My detailor said he uses Xpel for lighter color and Suntek for darker color cars. Also quoted me $1600 for a full frontal coverage. Hope Xpel won’t turn yellow on my metallic white..
Old 08-22-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Lionize_7
My detailor said he uses Xpel for lighter color and Suntek for darker color cars. Also quoted me $1600 for a full frontal coverage. Hope Xpel won’t turn yellow on my metallic white..
See this: https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2018...otection-film/

This will help with the yellowing you're concerned about!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by synergize
See this: https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2018...otection-film/

This will help with the yellowing you're concerned about!
thank you for sharing! I was planning on adding a ceramic coating on top of the PPF. Another $1500.. not sure if it’s worth it.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Lionize_7

thank you for sharing! I was planning on adding a ceramic coating on top of the PPF. Another $1500.. not sure if it’s worth it.
I agree, there are so many products out there, you just have to weed them out by research and asking questions. I'm sure a better solution
exists then dropping $1.5 k on ceramic coating. Others may argue the opposite, but at the end of the day my wallet looks better stuffed with that 1.5K$$!

Quick Reply: Brand New S5 - Paint Protection Film Opinions please