Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Brand new S5 SB pulsing vibration/shaking at idle when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brand new S5 SB pulsing vibration/shaking at idle when in gear

I just picked up my S5 SB and I am in love with it. However, I did notice very quickly that for whatever reason the car has this sort of wah-wah pulsing vibration that I can feel through the seats very clearly while the car is at idle, if it is in gear. If it's in neutral or park and the transmission disengages, it goes away. It is also more noticeable when there is some sort of electrical load on the car, ie. the AC is on. If I turn the AC off, the vibration remains but it is less noticeable.

Some brief Googling tells me that the engine mounts for whatever reason are loose so when the car gets into gear excessive movement in the engine gets transmitted to the car itself.

Any other thoughts? I have to immediately start commuting a lot unfortunately but I will be sure to bring the car back into my dealer within a few weeks.

Other than that, I'm seriously in love with the car! Navarra blue on rotor grey. Here's some quick snaps from the delivery bay.

Name:  6CobZfX.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  609.1 KBName:  1h1oowl.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  75.5 KBName:  h1gA6nF.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  81.1 KB
Old 05-02-2018, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the SB and welcome to AW! What you are describing is definitely not normal. If you cannot take the car in immediately call in and report it so they have a record. Hope it is nothing serious and the dealership sorts it out quick.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There are some threads on various B9 sources that say they experience a rough idle as well, at low RPMs. The engine was warm and the car was idling at like 700-800 rpm maybe.

If it's supposed to get better with mileage, that's cool. But overall it's kind of annoying.

Tomorrow I'll try flipping it into S mode to raise the revs and see if that helps.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

If I recall correctly my S5 did the same thing when it was new. There was a thread about it somewhere on here that indicated it to be normal for the first so many miles and sure enough mine no longer does it.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

In comfort mode, it will idle at minimum rpm ~600 to save fuel.. idle was fairly rough when new but gets better as the engine breaks in, Not noticeable at 5K miles.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did the same thing for the first few thousand miles. If you don't have a warning on the dash relax and enjoy the new ride!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the solace!

I've already put 1500 km on it so break-in period is over (I drive a **** ton). There's still the occasional rough idle but certainly not as noticeable as before and I'm not too worried about it.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you take it into the Dealers? I have the same issue and was considering video'ing it and sending it to the dealer to tell me what they thought, if there was something to worry about.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jma84
Did you take it into the Dealers? I have the same issue and was considering video'ing it and sending it to the dealer to tell me what they thought, if there was something to worry about.
Put some miles on it, it's normal for a new computerized engine. There is a lot of learning for a new engine with all of the new sensors.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have S5 SB with 2000 miles on it and it does the same, I thought nothing of it and thought its a feature of the car.

I had few V8s in the past and the shaking was a characteristic of the V8 according to dealer, more of a soft rumble if that makes sense.

will keep an eye on it and if it does not go away by first service I'll report it.

Quick Reply: Brand new S5 SB pulsing vibration/shaking at idle when in gear