Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Burning Smell from Engine??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, the burnt smell wasn't evident when my A5 Sportback was purchased last August. In fact, it only started after the first service, performed last May at 9,850 miles. It also seems to be running a bit hotter than before the service. Sloppy work? Thoughts?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by philh2o
For me, the burnt smell wasn't evident when my A5 Sportback was purchased last August. In fact, it only started after the first service, performed last May at 9,850 miles. It also seems to be running a bit hotter than before the service. Sloppy work? Thoughts?
Summer? Give the first service is an oil change I’m at a loss at to how this would in any way have any bearing on operating temperature. If you’re smelling burning oil, it could be sloppy work if the tech spilled oil on the exhaust/turbo and didn’t clean it up.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4

Summer? Give the first service is an oil change I’m at a loss at to how this would in any way have any bearing on operating temperature. If you’re smelling burning oil, it could be sloppy work if the tech spilled oil on the exhaust/turbo and didn’t clean it up.
August was also summer when I picked up the vehicle in New Jersey, drove it to South Carolina where summer was suspended for three minutes during the eclipse, then across the country and uphill to Colorado. The temp routinely registered closer to the 190º mark than the 240º mark it now does. And, as I mentioned, I noticed the difference only after the first service. Of course this may be something unrelated to the burnt smell. (Which, by the way, is never an issue in the cabin. Only noticed when existing the vehicle.)

Smell-wize (just because I’ve never typed that word before), sure, probably spillage. After a road trip to California last May I noticed small black drippy specks, about the size of coarse pepper, radiating away from the oil fill cap. They’ve not returned after wiping affected areas down with a rag.

Lastly, I just checked the oil level (cold engine): a little more than 2/3rds.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Burning Smell and fans running after parking

I got this from another forum from a guy called Mikael

To reduce the amount of soot (particles, black smoke) emitted by a diesel engine, a Diesel Particulate Filter is mounted in the exhaust system. This effectively collects most soot particles produced by the engine just like a trap.

But when the filter is full, it has to be emptied. This is automatically done periodically, and the way it works is that the engine adds some extra fuel so that the particles trapped in the DPF may be burnt out.

If this so-called regeneration cycle starts just as the engine is shut-off, you may notice the burnt smell and the fans are running to prevent the engine bay from overheating during the procedure.

I also phoned my dealer who confirmed this. Apparently the regenerator can run up to 600 deg c to do it's job.

Apparently normal