Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Can an OBD modify ...WiFi off time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Can an OBD modify ...WiFi off time?

As the title implies, I’m trying to extend WiFi activity in car when it is in parking mode.
I’ve got the plan with ATT, obviously it goes off when the power does.
Does anyone know whether there is a setting that can be changed?
Thanks,
Old 12-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "power off", if you mean after you turn the engine off then the answer is that is control by the car computer and you can not change it. The design is such that you can't run the battery down so that car won't start. Of course the solution is to leave the engine running and use fuel and if in an enclosed space take a chance of killing yourself with carbon monoxide,,,,
Seriously, the WiFi utilizes the MMI infrastructure which pulls battery power and you don't want to end up with a dead battery. I do know when a lot of phones are "tethered" to a laptop for example the phone monitors the "activity" on the connection and if it doesn't see any activity for a certain period it will turn the tethering off. It doesn't sound like this is your issue with AT&T because if you're using it they shouldn't cut it off.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirgoman
Not sure what you mean by "power off", if you mean after you turn the engine off then the answer is that is control by the car computer and you can not change it. The design is such that you can't run the battery down so that car won't start. Of course the solution is to leave the engine running and use fuel and if in an enclosed space take a chance of killing yourself with carbon monoxide,,,,
Seriously, the WiFi utilizes the MMI infrastructure which pulls battery power and you don't want to end up with a dead battery. I do know when a lot of phones are "tethered" to a laptop for example the phone monitors the "activity" on the connection and if it doesn't see any activity for a certain period it will turn the tethering off. It doesn't sound like this is your issue with AT&T because if you're using it they shouldn't cut it off.
...indeed, I meant to say ‘turn the engine off’ and definitely I’m not surprised by your answer and I’m not going to waste more time on it. But I also attempted to use an older iPhone, set as hotspot. I got excited at first when it worked for a while, but soon after, I realized that the connection is actually weak and unreliable. Thus still looking for a solution.
Thanks your reply.