Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Calling RS5 Sportback owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calling RS5 Sportback owners...

In love with my car. Just over 10k miles since I picked it up January. After fixing a bunch of minor issues, one remains: an annoying and mysterious scraping sound audible only during tight turns. Louder when it’s wet/raining. Appears to come from the front left wheel/brake area. It is speed dependent - scraping sound increases in frequency the faster the car is going around the corner.

I can’t find any threads about this and I can’t believe I’m the only unlucky guy experiencing it.

4 trips to 2 different dealerships and they claim this is normal and due to the high performance brakes. The shop foreman and regional service manager could hear it, admitted it’s loud/strange, but dismissed it as “the other ones on the lot do it too, so it must be normal”.

I’m not ok with it. Passengers often comment on it and they think my wheels are scraping. I’ve owned other RS Audi and GTS Porsche cars and I’ve never experienced anything like this.

Anyone else noticed/experiencing this?? Any ideas what exactly is causing it??

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not encountering the same issue as you. My car does make a clunk/groan noise when coming to a complete stop and then when I let off the brakes to go. Doesn’t seem to
do it in colder weather. I brought the car into the dealer and also received the high performance brakes reply from the dealer.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:25 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't have an RS5, but years ago with an MB I had a similar noise to what you're describing. After several visits to the dealer it turned out to be a loose brake shield that would move slightly when making a turn and cause a tinny sounding scraping noise.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2018 s5 SB does not make that noise. Has a noisy l/f brake at release, but minor
Old 11-07-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have an RS5 but are you referencing the Ackerman effect? Id try to explain but Google does a better job than me.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ive had my rs5 for over 2k miles so far and i dont have a noise coming form the passenger side during turns. what mode is it on mind me asking?

the only thing i do notice is that the passenger seat shakes a lot when noone is sitting in it under normal conditions.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

I have had my RS5 for 1k miles now and I have noticed the same issue. For me though it’s more noticeable in dry condition then wet. I have wrote it off to the Ackerman effect. This being my first awd car, I thought it is normal.

It is very minor imo.. only the most detail oriented might notice it.
I had a C6 Z06 Corvette I bought new back in 06. It did the same thing in the rear only worse. It was during U-turns... it was in the limited dif set up because it was so tight. Again the Ackerman effect..

Last edited by IamRacerX; 11-08-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for all the input! To answer a few of the comments: it does it in every mode, turning left or right. Strange how it’s so much louder when it’s soaking wet.

I tried to get an education on the Ackerman Effect but it appears to mainly manifest itself as tire chatter/popping sounds. What I am experiencing is an intermittent scraping-like sound, that increases in frequency the faster the wheels are spinning. When it’s dry out, it’s fairly quiet and not audible with music on at a normal volume, however when it’s wet out, it’s super loud. Even if it was Ackerman related, I would have experienced this on all other Quattro Audi cars I’ve had/have. Who knows...
Old 11-08-2019, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the sound change depending upon which way you're turning?
Old 11-18-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HexRS
Does the sound change depending upon which way you're turning?
It’s a lot more noticeable turning right. Inexplicably, very loud when braking system is wet. Presumably due to tighter tolerances between disc and caliper...if that could even be the source of the rubbing/scraping noise.

Quick Reply: Calling RS5 Sportback owners...