Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Carplay will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Carplay will not start

This just started recently, everything was working fine before. iphone X will connect via BT but Carplay will not start when plugged in. phone does shown being charged, already changed and verified cable is good. Any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiz33
This just started recently, everything was working fine before. iphone X will connect via BT but Carplay will not start when plugged in. phone does shown being charged, already changed and verified cable is good. Any suggestions?
Probably too simplistic, but I always reboot my phone at the first sign of trouble.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

hmmmm could be a couple things. in the carplay settings make sure carplay is allowed while the phone is locked.

if the phone has been locked for more than an hour, any usb accessory won't be allowed access. You can turn this off in the faceid/toucid settings though.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Maybe try "forget this car" under settings > general > carplay and have it start the connection from scratch again. Know anyone else with a iPhone that can plug in and test (isolating issue to be car vs. your phone.)?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah make sure your iPhone is unlocked or enable CarPlay to be used while locked. I had the same problem but it's the phone not the car.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Also check the connection manager and see if the phone is showing up under the smartphone interface.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I encountered issues in certain situations when bluetooth audio was enabled while using CarPlay. I use CarPlay almost 100% of the drives I take. But if I'm just going to take a quick trip to the store, I didn't want to take my phone out of my pocket, but I still wanted audio, so I enabled bluetooth audio. That's all well and good until I took a multiple shorter trips. For example, with bluetooth enabled, I could go to work in the morning, connect to CarPlay with no issues, drive home in the afternoon, and connect again to CarPlay with no issues. But if I made a short stop at the store on the way home, on my final trip home CarPlay would not connect. It was super frustrating. After talking to the service manager, he suggested turning bluetooth audio off. I did and have had zero issues with CarPlay since. It's unfortunate that I can't have bluetooth audio enabled, but I've learned to live with it.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by juicebox098
I encountered issues in certain situations when bluetooth audio was enabled while using CarPlay. I use CarPlay almost 100% of the drives I take. But if I'm just going to take a quick trip to the store, I didn't want to take my phone out of my pocket, but I still wanted audio, so I enabled bluetooth audio. That's all well and good until I took a multiple shorter trips. For example, with bluetooth enabled, I could go to work in the morning, connect to CarPlay with no issues, drive home in the afternoon, and connect again to CarPlay with no issues. But if I made a short stop at the store on the way home, on my final trip home CarPlay would not connect. It was super frustrating. After talking to the service manager, he suggested turning bluetooth audio off. I did and have had zero issues with CarPlay since. It's unfortunate that I can't have bluetooth audio enabled, but I've learned to live with it.
Sounds like it fixed your issue and are happy with the fix, but you should be able to have both enabled. I’m not overly fond of CarPlay, but I keep it enabled and when I plug my phone in CarPlay kicks in, as you would expect - but I can quickly disconnect from the cord and Bluetooth is connected/ready to go. I am using an iPhone XS, with all the latest and greatest sw updates.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiz33
Did you try using the other USB port, to eliminate it being a port issue? Hard reboot iPhone, or have another iPhone (or a friends) to try to see if it’s a car issue vs phone?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

You can have Bluetooth enabled and CarPlay on at the same time - if you plug the phone in, it defaults to CarPlay. Unplug it, and it goes to Bluetooth audio

Make sure you're running the newest Ios - CarPlay seems to be very sensitive to this

Sometimes I've had to do what was suggested above - forget the device in the MMI, delete the car from the phone, and re-pair

Quick Reply: Carplay will not start