Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Ceramic brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic brakes?

The brake dust is driving me nuts! Has anyone tried aftermarket ceramic pads?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm gonna be honest I haven't had too much of a problem with break dust accumulation from the standard pads. I have a few other newer cars and the average accumulation of break dust per car, given a set amount of miles driven is relatively equal for each car. Now if we're talking about the rotors, that's a whole different story. The rotors on this series appear to rust up proportionally faster than any of the other new cars I've had the pleasure to drive and enjoy.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tercio
I'm gonna be honest I haven't had too much of a problem with break dust accumulation from the standard pads. I have a few other newer cars and the average accumulation of break dust per car, given a set amount of miles driven is relatively equal for each car. Now if we're talking about the rotors, that's a whole different story. The rotors on this series appear to rust up proportionally faster than any of the other new cars I've had the pleasure to drive and enjoy.
interesting. I did my first wash and noticed a ton of break dust. Even more than I had on my stage 2+ mk6 R with stock brakes.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoSierra5
If you have read any of the comparative reviews of the S5 vs the Mercedes-AMG C43 and BMW 440i, the first thing noted in any of the performance comparisons is how much better the Audi brakes are than the other two.

Rather than risk compromising this asset, better to use a good quality, long life sealing product on the wheels, and brake dust will just wash off. IMO.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

TS, Audi fits lower-performing ceramic pads to their lower performing vehicles for a reason, and vice versa.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TangoSierra5
I feel the same way wheels can’t stay clean for a day. They clean easy if you keep on top of it but it’s really annoying.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
If you have read any of the comparative reviews of the S5 vs the Mercedes-AMG C43 and BMW 440i, the first thing noted in any of the performance comparisons is how much better the Audi brakes are than the other two.

Rather than risk compromising this asset, better to use a good quality, long life sealing product on the wheels, and brake dust will just wash off. IMO.
If that is true, than I am prepared to be awed.
The M sport brakes on my BMW 2015 435i would remove my spleen if pressed hard!
The S5 is on its way and I hope the sport package and S series brakes are as efficient as the engine is fast.
Don't mind brake dust if they do their job.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jason Simons
I feel the same way wheels can’t stay clean for a day. They clean easy if you keep on top of it but it’s really annoying.
I am going to be switching out my OEMs for Vorsteiner 102s next week in black...may be less annoying
Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Do you have a particular product you like for this?
Old 08-08-2017, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
Do you have a particular product you like for this?
I use Swissvax () Autobahn, which is carnauba wax with PTFE (Teflon), and specifically for wheels. Lasts about 3 months or so, which is pretty good for wheels:
Swissvax Autobahhn

Some of the newer "ceramic" style polymer sealants could work well, and may last longer. But the Swissvax product is very easy, and quick to apply.

There have been some threads on this, such as:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...-dust-2920749/

Quick Reply: Ceramic brakes?