Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Changing tires myself, any gotchas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
Except for the wheel dollies, you would find everything else listed above at Harbor Freight - their stuff is good for occasional use like ours not for professional use. I will recommend using a torque wrench. Having said that if I were you I'll take to a local place like Mr. Tire or Pep Boys or even a local repair shop and let them swap out the wheels then recheck the torque after a few days.
Agree on HF. Generally the stuff they carry will work fine for light duty use. But you can't beat the convenience of free 2 day shipping with Amazon. As I type this I'm awaiting delivery of a few yard tools that will be put to use right away.

I always recheck the torque on the lug bolts after a day or 2 of driving, just to make sure.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Only thing would be tire pressure monitor system TPMS

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
Agree on HF. Generally the stuff they carry will work fine for light duty use. But you can't beat the convenience of free 2 day shipping with Amazon. As I type this I'm awaiting delivery of a few yard tools that will be put to use right away.

I always recheck the torque on the lug bolts after a day or 2 of driving, just to make sure.
I wouldn't be surprised if the s5 or above has a battery-powered RF TPMS that communicates with the dashboard/ECU.

Our A5 2018 SB just has tire speed TPMS so a new set of wheels/tires just needs to have the TPMS reset on the MMI/Dashboard interface. Much easier than my 540i that actually displays recommended pressures and actual pressures (that seem fairly accurate to my handheld pressure meter).

quote from a TPMS Audi forum post:
"Audi has been using indirect TPMS since about MY12 or somewhere around there. It saves the extra expense for the sensors for winter and aftermarket wheels. The system uses the existing ABS sensors to measure oscillations in the wheel assembly and via a complex spectrum analysis algorithm determines if the tire pressure is low in one or more tires and can also tell you exactly which tire is low. This system learns the current characteristics and parameters as you drive for the first 20 minutes or so after resetting the system and then it stores them as the reference point and alerts once it determines that the pressure deviates by about 20% from the learned reference as required by law. Since there are no sensors in the wheels, it can't measure the actual pressure and temperature. The new RS models now have an option to get direct TPMS with sensors and they will display pressure and temperature for each tire. The R8 has it standard. You have to get the Dynamic plus package as direct TPMS is mostly meant for the track, so one can keep an eye on pressure and temperature. For normal daily driving, it's pretty much overkill."

YMMV.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 05-18-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't have a 2nd set of wheels, but I also don't want my dealer or anyone else putting wheels on my car. Has anyone tried to just bring the wheels to a shop (e.g. Discount Tire or dealer) and have them install/balance the new tires and then you mount them onto the car yourself?

Also, if I want to put my car on 4 jack stands, where is a good front/rear jack points to use to raise the car?
Old 05-18-2019, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cwmk
OK, total n00b question I know... Between very little driving and the awful condition of Boston roads, I've kept the winter skins and wheels on my car thus far.

I am a fairly mechanically competent person who can follow instructions well, is there any reason I should drive out to the dealer and pay them to swap the tires versus buying a decent jack and torque wrench and doing it myself? I have storage space so not paying the dealer $300 to store them until November! Aside from the jack and wrench, any other specific/unique tools I'd need?
As I understand your question you ask whether this job is worth doing yourself. The answers given ny posters assume that it is for you and offer instructions.
A different view. The job is simple for most people who are mechanically inclined and physically (and mentally) able. But b/c it is so simple inattention can result in costly and possibly dangerous results.
Who should not try this: If your memory is fading (you are forgetting why you went where you did e.g. The pitfalls are bad wheel installation e.g. badly installed or (missed) centering rings (you will likely need these) or insufficiently torqued bolts (forgot one?). These could result in a serious accident. Improper positioning of the jack/adapter can result in expensive damage to the rocker panel or worse.
The job is probably too physically demanding for many women or older people. Tire and rim weigh 45-50 lbs. and need to be lifted into position. on the hub.
To make the job tolerable i.e. not more than say 1/2 hr you will need the proper equipment which includes a good floor jack, sockets, torque wrench, breaker bar, light. If you need to ask what those are, you are not ready for this.
Despite all of the above, I find changing tires myself more convenient than having it one due to less total time spent and gained knowledge of your car as a side benefit. With some fairly inexpensive tools I am able to quickly measure brake pad thickness, rotor thickness, and tire tread depth. It is valuable for me to know the rate of wear as premature repairs are a common grift. I hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I’ve changed tires before, on big old American cars held together with baling wire and Bondo. Time-wise, I live in downtown Boston so a trip out to a dealer and back is realistically a few hours, assuming they can get me in right away. I’m also a pilot, so pretty good at following checklists carefully

As it happens, my “change oil in 26 days” message just popped up, based on the time I guess, as I’m only at 4K miles. If I need to do that then I might as well just have them do the swap this time.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
I don't have a 2nd set of wheels, but I also don't want my dealer or anyone else putting wheels on my car. Has anyone tried to just bring the wheels to a shop (e.g. Discount Tire or dealer) and have them install/balance the new tires and then you mount them onto the car yourself?

Also, if I want to put my car on 4 jack stands, where is a good front/rear jack points to use to raise the car?
I’ve done it, but if you’re already there they might as well put them on if they have a lift, it will save you lots of time.

A pro tip: if you have a cordless drill, get the adapter to allow you to use the drill to tighten the bolts. Tightening them is one of the more time consuming and less fun parts, this makes it way more fun. Then you tighten with the torque wrench.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak

Yep, balance between convenience and price. HF prices are hard to beat!
Old 05-18-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by belzebutt

A pro tip: if you have a cordless drill, get the adapter to allow you to use the drill to tighten the bolts. Tightening them is one of the more time consuming and less fun parts, this makes it way more fun. Then you tighten with the torque wrench.
Wouldn't the drill over tighten? If so the torque wrench would be give false reading. Perhaps the safer bet may be to use the drill, but then hand loosen the bolt half a turn or so re-tighten with the torque wrench. I always double check torque when someone else does any work on the wheels. My local Mr. Tire has been on the spot with torque the two times they did took off the wheels, once to swap out the factory summer tires with all seasons and recently when one tire picked up a screw. But that precision with the torque is an exception.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cwmk
I’m also a pilot, so pretty good at following checklists carefully .
What do you fly? Commercial, Corporate, Private for fun? If private B, C, P, G or what?
Old 05-18-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
Wouldn't the drill over tighten?.
There's no way a cordless drill will give you more torque than a torque wrench. Besides, you're supposed to put the drill on the weakest setting and just get the bolt finger tight.

Quick Reply: Changing tires myself, any gotchas?