Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Closing hatch with Fob

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by pcss
Thanks all. I have come to understand that Audi considers this limitation justifiable, with consideration to safety and liability. Their philosophy is that there should be full visibility of the rear when closing, lest someone accidentally get hit by a closing hatch. This trade-off in (in)convenience remains frustrating to me. I hope to learn of a way to overcome this without needing to purchase 3rd party software...
I have the OBD device so I'll try the range extension tomorrow but it doesn't sound like a range issue to me since I'm hearing the locks noise when I hit the fob button from the front of the car. It may be a liability issue like you said and they want us to be near the rear of the car when the door is in motion.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Does yours make any noise (like doors unlocking) when you try from the front of the car?
Old 01-14-2019, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
I have the OBD device so I'll try the range extension tomorrow but it doesn't sound like a range issue to me since I'm hearing the locks noise when I hit the fob button from the front of the car. It may be a liability issue like you said and they want us to be near the rear of the car when the door is in motion.
I have my S5 coded to disable the distance limitation and I still need to be close to the back hatch to use the fob. I think that setting only applies to the windows and sunroof. I donated some stuff to Goodwill over the weekend and it was annoying that I couldn't close the hatch from 20ft away.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:22 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Thanks all. I have come to understand that Audi considers this limitation justifiable, with consideration to safety and liability. Their philosophy is that there should be full visibility of the rear when closing, lest someone accidentally get hit by a closing hatch. This trade-off in (in)convenience remains frustrating to me. I hope to learn of a way to overcome this without needing to purchase 3rd party software...
I’m thinking you’re right.

When I ordered my S5 I asked about an Audi factory remote start — the sales manager said “No such thing / Never happening / No German cars have that option available. End of story.” I have no idea if his “No German Cars . . .” is accurate but I seem to recall reading there was an issue in Europe with a remote start that ended in death.

Audi seems to be very cautious where safety (lawsuit adverse) is concerned.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
Does yours make any noise (like doors unlocking) when you try from the front of the car?
Yes, there is absolutely communication with the car just like that - lights and door locks.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

I’m thinking you’re right.

When I ordered my S5 I asked about an Audi factory remote start — the sales manager said “No such thing / Never happening / No German cars have that option available. End of story.” I have no idea if his “No German Cars . . .” is accurate but I seem to recall reading there was an issue in Europe with a remote start that ended in death.

Audi seems to be very cautious where safety (lawsuit adverse) is concerned.

Starting a car and letting it sit idling (warming up) is illegal in Germany and your neighbors will either tell you it's against the rules or at worst, report you. This has to do with air pollution and the same reason why modern German cars have the auto-off for the engine..

Audi did offer an auxiliary heater that warmed the car without starting the engine but I am not sure it's still offered for the 2017+ model years...

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zubehoer/p/retrofit-solution-for-the-auxiliary-heater-ventilation-8v0054960d-10?search_term=Auxiliary%20heated&channel=904_ASOS

Last edited by N8!; 01-15-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:09 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

N8! — Thank You for posting that; It seems European countries are really concerned with air pollution and the quality of air. Had you ever heard of a German remote start causing a death?

Two things I have noticed about my Audi — It is quick to start pumping warm air into the cabin after a cold start and the seat warmers are also quick to start supplying heat on a cold day.

Last edited by Nikon1; 01-15-2019 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:14 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

N8! — Thank You for posting that; It seems European countries are really concerned with air pollution and the quality of air. Had you ever heard of a German remote start causing a death?

Two things I have noticed about my Audi — It is quick to start pumping warm air into the cabin after a cold start and the seat warmers are also quick to start supplying heat on a cold day.
Yeah, these cars heat up pretty fast - PLUS - the awesome heated seats and steering wheel make the wait much more comfortable.

As far as causing death/injury... I seem to vaguely remember an incident in the US but I dont remember a death being involved. the US is suit-happy and our fellow citizenry tend to avoid taking personal responsibility especially when misusing products.

Last edited by N8!; 01-15-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Any idea if the A5 and variants have the auxiliary heater (I don’t think they do)? My Q5 has one and the cabin heats up nearly automatically. Not saying the A5 isn’t quick but it does take a bit longer (2-3 miles) from my experiences. Thankfully the seats and steering do heat up quickly and yes, I realize it’s not really that cold in Dallas.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Yes, there is absolutely communication with the car just like that - lights and door locks.
... back to the topic at hand.

I did some tests with OBD and confirmed the results obtained by rccoleman. Eliminating range restrictions has no impact on the hatch not closing via fob when not standing near the rear bumper.

Quick Reply: Closing hatch with Fob