Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Connect Services

Old 10-23-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Connect Services

My free trial for connect services is over. I like the google maps but that is about it. $499 for 18 months seems like a lot. I have trouble logging into my Audi and using the app. To me seems more trouble than it is worth. Probably will skip. Any thoughts or input?
Old 10-23-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by shaf
My free trial for connect services is over. I like the google maps but that is about it. $499 for 18 months seems like a lot. I have trouble logging into my Audi and using the app. To me seems more trouble than it is worth. Probably will skip. Any thoughts or input?
I'm on 2 mind about this although I just got the car last Friday. I did look at the contract and it does seems quite expensive. But I don't have enough experience with the setup yet. What else would you lose other than Google Earth?
Old 10-23-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m on the fence about renewing. In addition to google map, through the app, you can set geofencing, valet alert, speed alert, lock/unlock and see how many miles you have on the car. Since I use CarPlay all the time, google map isn’t being used. Hard to justify the renewal payment.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

OP, sounds like you are using the nav, so keep in mind w/o a subscription you won't get traffic information and the nav will be reduced to a dumb nav that won't route you around traffic incidents anymore.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
OP, sounds like you are using the nav, so keep in mind w/o a subscription you won't get traffic information and the nav will be reduced to a dumb nav that won't route you around traffic incidents anymore.
But most smart phone nowadays have traffic alert on their MAP APP and with Apple Carplay and Android Auto, Will you really miss it? We're talking about another $1500 in 5 years, not a lot in the overall scheme of things but that would pay for a set of Euro taillights ;-P
Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiz33
But most smart phone nowadays have traffic alert on their MAP APP and with Apple Carplay and Android Auto, Will you really miss it? We're talking about another $1500 in 5 years, not a lot in the overall scheme of things but that would pay for a set of Euro taillights ;-P
If you are going to primarily use Apple Carplay or AA for navigation, why spending $2600 on the Navigation Package in the first place? Spending that kind of money on an option and then neuter it by not paying for the subscription doesn't make much sense to me. If you are not going to pay for the subscription, save yourself the $2600 and just use the standard smartphone interface.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by shaf
That's less than $28 bucks per month. I don't see that being much of an impediment for someone who does enjoy this option - Google maps integration with the Virtual Cockpit is one of the things I really enjoy about my A5.

However, if one doesn't use it, then renewing it doesn't make much sense.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
That's less than $28 bucks per month. I don't see that being much of an impediment for someone who does enjoy this option - Google maps integration with the Virtual Cockpit is one of the things I really enjoy about my A5.

You are right! google map in the VC looks really nice!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
If you are going to primarily use Apple Carplay or AA for navigation, why spending $2600 on the Navigation Package in the first place? Spending that kind of money on an option and then neuter it by not paying for the subscription doesn't make much sense to me. If you are not going to pay for the subscription, save yourself the $2600 and just use the standard smartphone interface.
Not to get into an argument here but I got everything included in a prestige and even without the connect services, I still got the virtual cockpit, the larger center screen and I still have MMI Nav, just no traffic alert. I guess I have time to decide as I just started the trial. We'll see how it goes.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N8!
Agreeing 100% with what you are saying N8!

I am exactly 3 months into my car today and I was on the fence about it after reading what others had to say about this topic and I have to say... to me, it is worth the subscription in my opinion. I FaceTime a lot with family and friends all over the world when i have long drives and having Wifi in the car is awesome and the Google Maps with the traffic updates is really great.... for $28 a month that really isn't a bad deal considering you spent $2600 for it in first place. I still have until February to decide but i am leaning towards going for the subscription.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Connect Services