Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

considering an alternative to xm radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering an alternative to xm radio

greetings....im considering breaking away from xm radio. no problem with music and cost $35. every 6 months for their select package.
but customer service and billing needs to be done twice a year, and im getting a bit tired of having to dance with them.

and so i need to find out whats out there that would work best for me. i have an iphone 5 old school but works well for me.
i have no musical library nor store any music. i prefer random play thrown at me from a few musical genres.

given a choice i would prefer not to be tethered by a cable. but if i have to i will.
the cost and method of billing is of some concern when making a choice.
i prefer not to exceed the $70. a year im now paying ,unless the service and music would justify the added cost.

il see what names come up most and then look into them for more details . thank you

Old 06-03-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want random play from a few genres, then use Pandora free.
The following users liked this post:
Aligti (06-23-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're an Amazon Prime user, use their music service for free.
The following users liked this post:
Aligti (06-23-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a family plan on Pandora and we have Amazon Prime. Why bother with XM, ever?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I always use a virtual credit card # with Sirius. I hate negative billing and this is the only way I can make sure I don't get charged the full monthly rate.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I currently use Spotify.

We have used Pandora and Amazon Music as well.

Gets the job done.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Dealing with Sirius/XM customer service is a nightmare. I really feel like they do everything they can to frustrate the customer and extract as much money as possible. Even discontinuing service on a car that you are getting rid of is like pulling teeth, they want to sell you portable radios or a streaming package - anything but let you just cancel. I like the idea of a virtual card - I'm going to have to look into that.

I find I rarely use Sirius to listen to music these days, I'm only keeping it for the news stations and occasionally sports. For music I use Amazon, Pandora and Spotify. The latter 2 offer free services if you are willing to put up with lower quality streams and ads every few songs. I ended up subscribing to the premium service on all 3, I thought the cost was low enough that it was worth the upgrade. The issue with them of course is that you need a cellular data plan to make them work, but odds are, most of us already have one of those and these days most are unlimited, so no need to worry about using up data for music streaming.

The most economical option (and also the one that has the highest sound quality) is to copy music files onto an SD card. I have an extensive collection of ripped music from the many CD's that I had purchased back when that was still a thing people did. So I always have a few thousand of my favorite songs sitting in the MMI sd slot, but the downside there is that any time I purchase new music I have to jump through some minor hoops to load it onto the sd card.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

I would pick one of the ones that support Car Play since you have an iPhone.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use deezer, with lossless sound quality, and I pay monthly. almost unlimited music at my finger tips. My fam uses it too! Also is slacker radio, or live I think they call it now. Slacker is more radio and genre based, whereas deezer, you can play almost any song you can dream up. Love the sound quality of it in the car as well. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2019, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that it matters, but SiriusXM bought Pandora. If SiriusXM had a pay per channel option I would do that because there were like two or three that I listened to. I just use an SD card full of my own music now and Pandora if I get tired of that.

-steve

Quick Reply: considering an alternative to xm radio