Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Contemplating, but torn...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Quick pic of the car after the first wash at my parent's house. It's been mostly raining since I picked it up, so that's a bit of a bummer. I'll start the process of selling my RS5 once I get back.
Congrats on finally getting the new car. First of many washes, I suspect! Be gentle with those ***** and switches, you're not in an Audi any more
Old 05-28-2019, 07:08 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been in a similar boat. My RS5 had misfire issues and they eventually diagnosed the driver side high pressure fuel bump failing. I had trouble warm starting the car and had a couple of times where I thought I was stranded but eventually managed to get it started. It's pretty much fine since they replaced the fuel pump. However, I felt it was time to replace the car and had been looking for a new ride for the past 1-2 years. I ended up buying a 2019 C63S Coupe and picked it up in Germany 3 weeks ago. I'll be here enjoying it until July 7. I had driven the B9 RS5 Coupe extensively for several 100 miles on my typical roads and took it for a blast through the canyons. It simply didn't do it for me. Coming from the B8 it was a major disappointment. The tech is upgraded, but that's about it. The C63 is the same kind of beast as the B8 RS5. Looks and sounds menacing and goes like a rocket. What I didn't know until it got closer to owning the car is that the tech is significantly ahead of Audi. I decked mine out with almost every option, other than the HUD and CCBs. Out of the tech I'm enjoying the driving assist package the most. It's at the level of Tesla's Autopilot. For some reason MB doesn't really advertise it. This car is an amazing long distance cruiser and daily driver. It steers on its own, accelerates and slows down for other cars, exits, intersections etc., changes lanes on its own by simply engaging the turn signal, and it doesn't constantly yell at me to put my hands on the steering wheel. It has touch sensors in the steering wheel, so I don't have to periodically provide slight steering inputs to satisfy the software as is the case in the B9. The tech feels overall much better thought through and implemented than Audi's tech. This is my first Mercedes and I'm quite impressed. Thanks to the driving assistance tech, it is a much better GT than the B9 RS5, IMO. What it kinda comes down to me is that when driving normally, the B8 RS5 still feels special. At no point do I think I'm driving an A5 or S5. It feels and sounds different at any speed. Same with the C63. At no point do I mistake it for a C43, or regular C Class. With the B9 RS5, I felt like I'm driving an S5 or even an A5 during most of the normal driving. It did pretty well in the canyons, but if I spend that kind of money, I wanna get rewarded even just driving to the grocery store. I didn't get that feeling with the B9 RS5. It felt more like I could save a ton of money and just get an S5 and it would be 95% the same.

Quick pic of the car after the first wash at my parent's house. It's been mostly raining since I picked it up, so that's a bit of a bummer. I'll start the process of selling my RS5 once I get back.

Is this an EU/German spec'ed vehicle? Do any/all of those automatic driving goodies trickle down to the US version?

PS: You photo makes me miss Europe... from the houses, to the cobblestone driveways, to the mountains, to the Böblingen (BB) temp license plate where the Mercedes plant is...

Last edited by N8!; 05-28-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
Is this an EU/German spec'ed vehicle? Do any/all of those automatic driving goodies trickle down to the US version?

PS: You photo makes me miss Europe... from the houses, to the cobblestone driveways, to the mountains, to the Böblingen (BB) temp license plate where the Mercedes plant is...
No, this is a US spec'd vehicle. The amber reflectors in the headlights should give it away However, while I'm in Europe, the navigation system is programmed with the European maps. The driving assist system uses the map data to know about roundabouts, intersections, exits etc, so it's currently fully operational while in Europe. Once the car gets to the US, the system gets reprogrammed with the US maps at the VPC. The engine ECU is also currently coded for European octane levels and will be reprogrammed once it gets to the US. The rest of the car is full US spec, but it has a European Chassis Number in addition to the North American VIN, and the car is under European warranty until it gets to the USA.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:21 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

No, this is a US spec'd vehicle. The amber reflectors in the headlights should give it away

Yep - I should have noticed that, but I distracted by the other elements in the photo which made me kinda "homesick"...

Old 06-10-2019, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moved on...

Well, I still have a '13 S4, but the '14 RS5 now resides in the "former cars" category. After two weeks at the dealership, they had no service report to give me - ostensibly "fighting with Audi" about warranty coverage. Frankly, I think it's just as likely that they couldn't duplicate that problem and and just gave me back the car until the next time. So, I've moved on. Audi blew it. They had the opportunity to take care of a long-term customer and didn't do it. I would have purchased a new RS5 if they had tried even a little.

So, here's the new car.

Hanging out waiting for the drive home from work...

This space used to have an RS5 parked in it.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Uh, that's not a parking space and you're blocking a wheelchair ramp.. but I can only assume thats just for the photo op.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Uh, that's not a parking space and you're blocking a wheelchair ramp.. but I can only assume thats just for the photo op.
I was going to say too... maybe it's better if you don't give a bad impression of Audi owners.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
I was going to say too... maybe it's better if you don't give a bad impression of Audi owners.
Originally Posted by ArvX147
This spot is actually at the end of a parking lot. The ramp you see is primarily for service staff. There is another designated handicapped access ramp adjacent to designated parking spots, and when necessary, I happily move my car. for service or guest access. Thanks for your concern!
Old 06-11-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by S4Aero
This spot is actually at the end of a parking lot. The ramp you see is primarily for service staff. There is another designated handicapped access ramp adjacent to designated parking spots, and when necessary, I happily move my car. for service or guest access. Thanks for your concern!
I don't think that's making your case any better. Handicapped or not, if you're having to move your car because it's in the way of service staff / guests every now and then then you shouldn't be parking there on top of it not actually being a spot.

I get that you want to protect your new car, I'm in the same boat with my new car too but if you're parking is inconveniencing others then you're doing it wrong in my book.

Last edited by heymoe; 06-11-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
I don't think that's making your case any better. Handicapped or not, if you're having to move your car because it's in the way of service staff / guests every now and then then you shouldn't be parking there on top of it not actually being a spot.

I get that you want to protect your new car, I'm in the same boat with my new car too but if you're parking is inconveniencing others then you're doing it wrong in my book.
+1

as well as just asking for some jerk to run his key down the side of your car because he doesn't like how you parked.

Quick Reply: Contemplating, but torn...