Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Contemplating, but torn...

Old 06-11-2019, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCTiger83
Don't qualify to respond as I didn't own a 2015 RS5, but have read knowledgeable reviews over the years leading up to my decision to buy a 2018 RS5 Coupe. From Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Edmunds, Road & Track etal, there seems to be the unanimous feeling of advantages for the 2018 in almost every important area, with the exception of the sound of the 2.9 TTV6 vs the 2015 4.2 V8:
-equivalent HP (444) for the 2018 vs. 450 for the 2015 V8 with a weight advantage (37 lbs less) and better fuel economy.
-HUGE advantage (40%) in torque: 443 lb ft. for the 2018 vs 316 for the 2015. All of that available at 1900 RPM vs 4000 RPM for the 2015).
-I like this: 0-60 at 3.5 (2018) vs 4.3 for the 2015. Can make a difference entering a 70 mph freeway from a standstill at the bottom of an entrance ramp.
-0-100 mph: 8.8 seconds for the 2018 vs 10.4 seconds for the 2015. Again, maybe not all the way to 100 mph, but the need to jump on a freeway with a narrow merge and traffic averaging 70-75 mph.
-Torque Vectoring Rear Differential. So valuable in sleet/ice/snow.
-Overall upgraded transmission, Quattro AWD, brakes, electronic & safety systems-these are a function of time passing as opposed to a lack of inclusion for the 2015.

For a DD, the immediate ability to merge into high speed traffic is essential, as is an AWD vehicle in the midwest. My experience with my 2012 A7 was excellent, so I was definitely in the camp of a return customer.
I've been an Audi fan for the better part of two decades. I still have a '13 S4. There's no doubt that Audi Quattro offers some distinct advantages over RWD cars - especially in slippery conditions. Frankly, the decision to go with the C63S was based on the failure of my dealer to repair a service problem - despite having three opportunities. They compounded the basic issue with a blase attitude toward the service and my satisfaction. They could have done a little hand-holding and parked me right in a new RS5. I read all the reviews and was satisfied that the '19 RS5 would certainly serve my needs. But, they didn't. I asked for their RS5 demo to be used as a loaner. They refused. I asked for the parts that were replaced, but they were "thrown away". I expected more and they failed.

Conversely, the MB dealer bent over backwards to locate the vehicle I wanted. They provided me with a demo vehicle for three days while I waited for my car to arrive. They gave me more for my trade-in than my dealer offered.

Oh yeah, I just love the C63S. It may be a tick slower 0-60 than the new RS5, but it is an incredible automobile.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by S4Aero
I've been called worse!

And, probably by better!

— John
Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I've been an Audi fan for the better part of two decades. I still have a '13 S4. There's no doubt that Audi Quattro offers some distinct advantages over RWD cars - especially in slippery conditions. Frankly, the decision to go with the C63S was based on the failure of my dealer to repair a service problem - despite having three opportunities. They compounded the basic issue with a blase attitude toward the service and my satisfaction. They could have done a little hand-holding and parked me right in a new RS5. I read all the reviews and was satisfied that the '19 RS5 would certainly serve my needs. But, they didn't. I asked for their RS5 demo to be used as a loaner. They refused. I asked for the parts that were replaced, but they were "thrown away". I expected more and they failed.

Conversely, the MB dealer bent over backwards to locate the vehicle I wanted. They provided me with a demo vehicle for three days while I waited for my car to arrive. They gave me more for my trade-in than my dealer offered.

Oh yeah, I just love the C63S. It may be a tick slower 0-60 than the new RS5, but it is an incredible automobile.
This definitely sounds like a really crappy dealer — based on your posts in this thread. I certainly cannot fault your choice to walk to a different dealer / brand after the way the Audi dealer dropped interest in maintaining you as a customer. I wish you well with your Mercedes and hope that the Audi dealer feels the loss of customers due to their overall cavalier attitude towards their most valuable resource.

Happy Motoring!

— John
Old 06-11-2019, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm the Chief Operating Office at the country club where it's parked. It's about the furthest spot away from the building that you can get. One of my servers parks on the passenger side to protect it from dings. She actually drives one of my former Audi's. Believe me, I am very conscious of handicapped spots. My wife has MS. Whenever we have an event on the park you see near the ramp, I move.
Would you be OK with any of the other employees parking there?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I completely understand. My neighbor has a 2018 MB C63S in a matte, deep gray....such a cool color. He has a big ol' Jeep to get him around on bad weather days. The situation in my area changed when the 2nd Audi dealer opened in 2016. They were so accommodating in finding a CPO 2017 A4 for my wife, that I decided to use them, rather than the haughty, egotistical original Audi dealer who had gotten used to a "monopoly" in the KC area. My service tech has been VERY accommodating, and the GM was personally involved in making sure the RS5 had what I wanted, and no features that I didn't. You are completely correct in that a dealership can make all the difference in the world with courtesy, respect and empathy. Sorry you didn't get that....