Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Coupe vs sportback

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wellll..... I actually just did that with a 2017 S3. It came in two weeks ago and never took it. They got my biz with a new A5 SB, here in Toronto the S3 will go in 2 seconds so no issue what so ever. Some people want a car NOW vs 3 month wait, that's why they kept the S3 - two sales really for them...
Old 03-02-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
My goodness, I guess so. I sold luxury cars for years, and we don't order a car for someone with the intention of canceling. You order a car, you sign a purchase agreement and you leave a deposit....it's YOUR car, with the legal paperwork to prove it. You can't just walk away. Very weird way to do business.
It's just a pro-consumer way of doing business. California is very pro-consumer, which is how it should be. You might be surprised to learn what a pro-consumer attitude can do for business if the customer doesn't constantly feel they are getting screwed with every purchase. We don't sign anything here when ordering a car and the deposit is more of a gesture of intent. A lot can happening in 3-5 months while waiting for a car. People can lose their jobs or their lifes could be uprooted in other ways.

Even in your case, it's not YOUR car until you actually pay for it. I'm pretty sure you would have a tough time legally challenging somebody who doesn't go through with the final purchase. At most, you may keep the deposit if your state allows that.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-02-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Not to derail the thread, so I'll make this my last comment about this.....

I've special ordered a number of cars, and I certainly don't find it to be "pro-consumer" to think I can just walk about from a commitment I have made to buy something. Deposits here are usually thousands of dollars on a special-order car, and most certainly a dealer would keep the deposit if you decided to not uphold your end of a signed purchase agreement. I don't see how that's not being "pro-consumer", that's called honoring commitments you have made.

The entire argument of "oh, the dealer will sell my special order car anyways, so what does it matter if I don't buy it?" doesn't really hold much merit. A dealer has a certain amount of inventory coming in, and he's not looking to add to it. If ten people ordered cars and then don't buy, a dealer suddenly has ten unsold cars, and an inventory that is more bloated than normally managed. Imagine at the end of a model year where dealers are selling down the old models...unsold special order cars would very very detrimental to moving inventory. Special orders are often combinations of colors or options that are unique, and not wanted by the average buyer (if it was common, one would have been in stock). Often a limited-availaibitily (like an S3) means a dealer only gets a certain number in a model year. So if you special order a car and then don't take it guess what, the dealer can't re-order a replacement in the more standard color/feature content that is more desirable to sell. And if a prospective customer wants to buy said S3, but not in the color you spacial ordered, guess what....the dealer no longer can just place a new order, because the quantity of that model is controlled. So yeah, you not taking a special order is a pretty big deal to a lot of dealers in my area. As I stated, I helped control/order inventory for a luxury brand so this is not a consumer opinion...my opinion is coming from a previous inventory manager. Perhaps your market area is different, but know it's certainly not the normal buying process in many areas of the country.

Anyways, I'm getting the thread off track. Interesting conversation. Back to the Sportback/Coupe consideration opinions.

Last edited by farmerjones; 03-02-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

size of market matters too I guess. Toronto area has 9 Audi dealers around
Old 03-02-2017, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I've special ordered a number of cars, and I certainly don't find it to be "pro-consumer" to think I can just walk about from a commitment I have made to buy something. Deposits here are usually thousands of dollars on a special-order car, and most certainly a dealer would keep the deposit if you decided to not uphold your end of a signed purchase agreement. I don't see how that's not being "pro-consumer", that's called honoring commitments you have made.

The entire argument of "oh, the dealer will sell my special order car anyways, so what does it matter if I don't buy it?" doesn't really hold much merit. A dealer has a certain amount of inventory coming in, and he's not looking to add to it. If ten people ordered cars and then don't buy, a dealer suddenly has ten unsold cars, and an inventory that is more bloated than normally managed. Imagine at the end of a model year where dealers are selling down the old models...unsold special order cars would very very detrimental to moving inventory. Special orders are often combinations of colors or options that are unique, and not wanted by the average buyer (if it was common, one would have been in stock). Often a limited-availaibitily (like an S3) means a dealer only gets a certain number in a model year. So if you special order a car and then don't take it guess what, the dealer can't re-order a replacement in the more standard color/feature content that is more desirable to sell. And if a prospective customer wants to buy said S3, but not in the color you spacial ordered, guess what....the dealer no longer can just place a new order, because the quantity of that model is controlled. So yeah, you not taking a special order is a pretty big deal to a lot of dealers in my area. As I stated, I helped control/order inventory for a luxury brand so this is not a consumer opinion...my opinion is coming from a previous inventory manager. Perhaps your market area is different, but know it's certainly not the normal buying process in many areas of the country.

Anyways, I'm getting the thread off track. Interesting conversation. Back to the Sportback/Coupe consideration opinions.
Yeah, your argument is from a pro-business perspective and obviously a different market. Deposits around here are typically $1000 and most dealers don't cash the check until the sale goes through. If you walk away they just give you your check back. It's a bigger market here, too. I have 8 dealers within 30 miles. Lots of money and people, too, so these cars move either way.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Ditto. Not at all involved in the automobile industry, but I find it a very questionable way of doing business. If I did the same, I would be interested to see how the dealer would treat me on future purchases. All this "consumer rights" blather. I'm with a public company, and if our company had customers that treated us this way I would be driving a '90's Kia instead of a '17 A4. Works both ways.

Back on track, I prefer the Sportback, both from a looks and practicality standpoint. If you want anyone to ride in the back seat they had better be Cirque du Soleil performers. Also, the trunk is shallow so nothing of any size will hang on the hooks.

Last edited by dseag2; 03-02-2017 at 07:07 PM.