Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Creaks and Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Creaks and Rattles

What are the most annoying creaks and rattles in your car (if any)?
Currently mine is a creaking/vibration from the overhead console whenever I drive over even slightly rough pavement.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Had some door panel rattles up front, between the dealer and subsequently myself installing a s$&t ton of felt tape at various contact points essentially gone. Also a common complaint is the removable rear shelf in the Sportback...usually it's because people don't have it pushed in far enough for it to click into place.

No issues with overhead console here.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

• I have one that sounds like a little "tap-tap" from what I think is the sunroof frame directly over my head.
  • I also have a little creak in the driver's seat under my left thigh in the seam between the seat and the extendable thigh support (sport ventilated seats), but I rarely notice it.
  • Also the rear deck speaker grilles rattle depending on the bass level of the music
  • Front passenger speaker grille too (B&O system).
This has all happened since new (April 2018). It's not constant, just occasional. Are dealers pretty good about fixing these things? Car only has 4500 miles.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

The pops and cracks from the trims expanding/contracting during summer. It'd sound like I'm in a microwave oven with a bag of pop corns, even with the car just sitting there.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
The pops and cracks from the trims expanding/contracting during summer. It'd sound like I'm in a microwave oven with a bag of pop corns, even with the car just sitting there.
True. My old Acura TL used to pop so loud that I would actually glance around for damage.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
This seems to be the norm with Audi now. Funny thing is very few owners throughout all the model forum pages complain about this. My 2017 Q7 is a fully loaded Presitge so not cheap and there is all kinds of pops and cracks due to interior trim expanding and contracting. It’s subtle so does not bother like true creaks and rattles. I love the car but at same time super annoying knowing what this car cost.

I was was at the big Los Angeles Auto Show this last weekend and just out of curiosty I pushed on trim in virtually every Audi model on display and every vehicle they make I could make at least some trim pop or creak. Not sure if it’s just cheap plastic engineering or too tight of tolerances or what, but I pressed on trims from endless brands after I left the Audi display and even the cheapest Kia was solid as can be.

Last edited by Meyecul; 12-03-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedKloud
What are the most annoying creaks and rattles in your car (if any)?
Currently mine is a creaking/vibration from the overhead console whenever I drive over even slightly rough pavement.
I have this one too since day one. Driving me nuts. Thought it was the sunroof but your description sounds like it could be what I am experiencing? Have you had the dealer look at this?
Old 01-08-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ocean1
I have this one too since day one. Driving me nuts. Thought it was the sunroof but your description sounds like it could be what I am experiencing? Have you had the dealer look at this?
No I haven't taken it in yet.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastian3
  • I have one that sounds like a little "tap-tap" from what I think is the sunroof frame directly over my head.
  • I also have a little creak in the driver's seat under my left thigh in the seam between the seat and the extendable thigh support (sport ventilated seats), but I rarely notice it.
Wanted to share some success I have had with my dealer on these two issues, as I had the exact same ones myself. Dealership is Audi of Northlake in Charlotte, NC, a one of the many Hendrick properties.
Had the car in for the sunroof area creak, found out it was the headliner rubbing against the roof metal. Hendrick ended up tearing it apart and installing double-sided dampening tape. Success, no more noise.

As for the driver's side seat creak with ventilated sport seats, mine would creak anytime there as any additional "pressure" applied to it beyond just sitting in it, such as a sharp bump, or additional G's going around a corner. There have been a number of threads related to this, and it took me three visits, but eventually got it sorted out.
First visit, Hendrick said they noticed the same noise in both driver and passenger seats. To be fair, I never did in the passenger seat. They ended up tearing the seat covers off and installing some fabric between the cover and the seat cushion, thinking it was in there. As soon as I got it back, noted that squeak was still present on the driver's side. Took the vehicle back in.
After the second trip and referring the service manager and lead mechanic to this Forum, they concluded that the issue was in the seat frame. Solution was to order a new one from Germany.
Third trip as it took over two weeks to get it in, but end result is no more squeaking!

2018 Q5 Premium Plus with sport seats and warm weather package
Old 01-08-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Car has been back to the shop twice for rattles in the last month. I have a rattle/buzz coming from the passenger door when playing certain music frequencies and I've got this constant ticking noise coming from somewhere over my right shoulder in the back. Also those plastic inserts in the doors near the handles with the LED tubes constantly tick 'n pop based on temperatures. Very aggravating since both the A3 and A6 loaners I've had are whisper quiet and you can't elicit any noise even when pressing on the trim. Press on the trim in my s5 and you get all sorts of creaks..

Quick Reply: Creaks and Rattles