Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Custom colors

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
. . . But could still be ordered as a custom colour on an Audi?

The picture of that Atlantic Blue really caught my attention — despite being a Daytona Gray fan.
Yes, IIRC Audi Exclusive will only limit some Lamborghini and Bentley colours, but match virtually anything else out there. Unless it is a particularly hideous combination, as again IIRC they will refuse to accommodate that.

The danger is that photos can be so heavily tweaked (and usually are in terms of tone maps, dynamic range, lighting, white balance etc) that what looks stunning (or not) in a photo may be very different in the real world. I wouldn't take a risk on an esoteric colour unless I could see it in the flesh, or if there were so many different photos out there you can getr a true sense of it.

Look at SYMAWD's photo of an Exclusive build A5 cabriolet in his dealership. I assume it must be Suzuka Grey, but you simply can't tell from the photo, as Glacier White would look identical in the same shot layout. You can only "see" a Suzuka Grey car by walking around it, because of the way the light reflects and transitions from lighter to shaded areas it is different from Glacier. The white Q7 (I think) in the background looks cream coloured in comparison, so might be Tofana White. But take a photo of a Mythos Black A5 cabriolet in the foreground, and the camera would make a Tofana White look like Ibis as the camera is setting the predominant tonality to 17% on the greyscale. Unless the photographer has manually set the white balance of the camera using a Grey card, the colours will not be accurate.

But then I am probably preaching to the converted given a user name of Nikon1!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Glisse — Thank You. You’re right about colour temps of the ambient light as well as any editing that has been done to the image. Prior to actually ordering that Atlantic Blue, I would spend time looking for a VW in that colour, as well as studying the VAG colour swatch in a number of different lighting situations.

The picture that lead to this conversation just grabbed me the instant I saw it and my preferences in car colors has pretty much settled in the Gray palette. My wife’s taste is in the red / maroon family but we do appreciate other people’s color choices.

Buy what thrills you — life is too short to settle for any less.

— John
Old 02-10-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Yes, IIRC Audi Exclusive will only limit some Lamborghini and Bentley colours, but match virtually anything else out there. Unless it is a particularly hideous combination, as again IIRC they will refuse to accommodate that.

The danger is that photos can be so heavily tweaked (and usually are in terms of tone maps, dynamic range, lighting, white balance etc) that what looks stunning (or not) in a photo may be very different in the real world. I wouldn't take a risk on an esoteric colour unless I could see it in the flesh, or if there were so many different photos out there you can getr a true sense of it.

Look at SYMAWD's photo of an Exclusive build A5 cabriolet in his dealership. I assume it must be Suzuka Grey, but you simply can't tell from the photo, as Glacier White would look identical in the same shot layout. You can only "see" a Suzuka Grey car by walking around it, because of the way the light reflects and transitions from lighter to shaded areas it is different from Glacier. The white Q7 (I think) in the background looks cream coloured in comparison, so might be Tofana White. But take a photo of a Mythos Black A5 cabriolet in the foreground, and the camera would make a Tofana White look like Ibis as the camera is setting the predominant tonality to 17% on the greyscale. Unless the photographer has manually set the white balance of the camera using a Grey card, the colours will not be accurate.

It's actually Cumulus Blue, but even in person you can't see the blue except under certain angles.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
It's actually Cumulus Blue, but even in person you can't see the blue except under certain angles.
Lot more Cumulus than Blue
Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse

\

You are saying 'limit some Lamborghini colors'. I really want to get Viola Parsifae but being even an Ad Personam this wont be possible..not even as paint to sample I assume

Old 02-10-2019, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DecoLingo
Anyone else have photos of custom colors?
These are all 2018 models. There are other colors known, but no pics.

Nogaro (there are at least 3 others)

Merlin

Riviera (someone was trying to flip this car for $225k; there is at least 1 other)

Arrow Gray

Amalfi White (w/Crimson Red interior)

Suzuka (w/base Alcantara interior; there is 1 other with leather)

Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Vegas Yellow.

Cuvee Silver. This one isn't technically exclusive, but to my knowledge, there's only 3 in the US.
Attachment 101773
Old 02-10-2019, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow it's really fun to see all those cars in such a variety of colors. The Amalfi White looks amazing in that photo, like a diamond! I'm down with the purple car as well. But honestly, I'd rather put my money towards a tri-toned interior (where I spend most of my time sitting) and just pick a standard color I could deal with.

But if money was no object, I'd go Exclusive like none other! I'm still a little sad my R8 is a "boring" color combination, but color doesn't change the way it drives. It's awesome to see such enthusiasts order such awesome colors that fit their personalities and tastes. We are luck that Audi supports a program like this, because many brands do not.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:59 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I find it interesting that all the Custom Color cars Group B submitted were Coupés. Of course, as a Coupé owner— I would.

The pictures are great —Thank you!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I find it interesting that all the Custom Color cars Group B submitted were Coupés.*
I was thinking it was an RS5 thread, and that's the only body style until this year. Here's a few non-RS pics:

There were a surprisingly high number of S5 Sportbacks ordered in exclusive colors for 2018.

Ara Blue; this was a very popular choice

Solar Orange; there are at least 2 of these, one has been matte black wrapped by the selling dealer to make it less sales poison

Mamba Black with a wild Cognac Brown Exclusive interior and Exclusive Controls

Quick Reply: Custom colors