Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

D mode in RS5

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DFWRS5
No problem in D mode, but absolutely the go pedal is less sensitive/responsive.
So, a problem in D mode?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slides
So, a problem in D mode?
AND....here he goes...
Old 01-18-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
So, a problem in D mode?
Might be an issue with your 2018 perhaps? I have driven turbo charged cars for a while now, coming from a 2010 Q5 (TERRIBLE turbo lag) and 2015 X5 (smooth as butter) the S5 its up there on smoothness. I really don't understand the complains, I have tried switching lanes on highway stop and go and the only time i will feel its dangerous is in comfort mode + D but that is true on BMW as well if you put eco pro+D.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem with D mode. Plenty of zip off the line.
2018 S5 Prestige coupe
Old 01-18-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D mode and S mode are unmistakably different.

When I left my 2010 S4 (DSG transmission) and move to my RS5, I wasn't sure what to expect ... transmission-wise. I ordered my RS5, so never had a chance to drive it. Attempting to ignore the torque difference, the RS5s transmission is significantly smoother and more predictable IMO.

In D mode, the car is smooth and shifts well. It'll get to higher gears quicker than in S mode, but it still maintains a nice responsiveness. In S mode, the car is much more edgy, almost "twitchy," especially in lower gears and with a lot of quick acceleration/deceleration. Of course, that's more fun to drive around in but when just cruising at a consistent-ish speed, it'll hold much higher RPMs (since it stays a gear lower).

There are no "problems" in D mode.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by machz
AND....here he goes...

DITTO! Just when I thought it was safe again . . .
Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

While I'm overall not a fan of the RS5, I don't remember there being a "problem" with D from driving it extensively. This stuff somewhat comes down to setting the right expectations and understanding the objective behind each mode. The Hot-V biturbo design yields some of the most responsive turbo engines that can be very close to a naturally aspirated engine. The RS5's V6TT is no exception there. From a pure turbo engine standpoint it's very good in terms of responsiveness. It's one of the few turbo engines I could live with. It is just a bit to tame for me in the entertainment department. As far as D is concerned, it is meant for normal daily driving. You can always temporarily use manual mode to be in the right gear for a certain maneuver as D in the name of comfort and fuel efficiency prefers higher gears. As someone who has owned manual transmission cars for a very long time, I just instinctively manually downshift when I need power and responsiveness in any car with a modern automated transmission. I mostly keep it in manual mode for example on the highway and control the gears myself, unless I'm just cruising along or stuck in traffic with adaptive cruise engaged.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

superswiss,

Please refrain from using logic, common sense and facts in future discussions of this topic.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

DITTO! Just when I thought it was safe again . . .
LOL, some of you guys are so predictable. This thread was started by someone else asking about the D mode lag and a few others commented about the issue and you're getting fixated on me.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default LOL.

Originally Posted by duhg
superswiss,

Please refrain from using logic, common sense and facts in future discussions of this topic.

Facts...

Quick Reply: D mode in RS5