Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Day 2 of trying to install a simple license plate frame...FRUSTRATION!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Ran down, got two more bolts and job done...these only have about 1-2 turns thread engagement but they snug up nicely and I'm satisfied.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

One more thing. The bolts that comes with the official accessories frame is not long enough to work with the plastic plate holder on the S5.

https://parts.audiofoakland.com/p/Au...AW071801C.html
Old 01-19-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wiz33
One more thing. The bolts that comes with the official accessories frame is not long enough to work with the plastic plate holder on the S5.

https://parts.audiofoakland.com/p/Au...AW071801C.html
Mine looks like that but is CF and doesn't say Audi...and it didn't come with any bolts, just the plastic caps and 4 rubber spacers.

Thinking about this over lunch I probably shouldn't get too excited because it works now with the thing dealer placard, the actual license plate will be obviously thicker and may not fasten since I mentioned these bolts only engage a turn or two at the most, we'll see when they arrive.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Day 4...the final day and SUCCESS!

So...like I thought, my "fix" didn't work with a real plate so the solution was to find thinner spacers that worked with these bolts, longer ones would mean starting out all over again,lol ...so it's off to ACE I go.

I get the guy to walk me over the spacer/grommet section and rummage through but really didn't find anything that would work.
So he takes me to the plumbing section and we find some old school faucet seals that I though would be fine, I put them both level on a shelf and I could tell they were just a hair more than half thickness so they'd be great, it's just I could tell the hole was too small for the bolts to pass through, so I figure no problem, I'll just drill them out at home...which is what I did. Being neoprene, they didn't drill easily but got them done.

So I painter tape the spacers to the plate holder and check and see if it would snug nicely and it did...perfect.
Now that I know they work, I bagged them and will glue them to the holder permanently once I receive my plates.

My wife can't believe the time I've spent on this seemingly easy project and wonders what other Audi owners do.
I told her I'm just laughing about it at this point...the simple fact of switching plate frame thicknesses and needing spacers in behind to take up space and allow the whole shooting match to be snugged down properly....shouldn't be this hard Audi,lol.

If the bolts had more travel room instead of bottoming out after 1-2 turns...I wouldn't have had these issues.

Original spacer that works with the frame and dealer placard is black, the thinner purple ones as purchased and then drilled out, works with the frame and real plate:

Painter taping the thinner spacers for a test-fit:

And the test went well, snugged up nicely...PERFECTO! Sorry about the plate guy,lol!

Feel so good about the mod, the wife's treating me to a fancy dinner complete with an Uber ride because frankly guys, I'm bushed.