Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Dead Throttle

Old 11-19-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, if you want quick accelaration, you need to be in the sport mode. The good news is that the lag does get better over time.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Audi needs to introduce an "E" (eco) mode in the transmission, a' la BMW and Merc to keep the fuel economy numbers good while making the D mode more drivable.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by RedKloud
Audi needs to introduce an "E" (eco) mode in the transmission, a' la BMW and Merc to keep the fuel economy numbers good while making the D mode more drivable.
Audi could do that, but it would have to make the Eco mode the default upon starting the car for it to be applicable to EPA ratings.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:43 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Audi could do that, but it would have to make the Eco mode the default upon starting the car for it to be applicable to EPA ratings.

And then we’d be right back where we started! People complaining about poor “E” Performance and having to start out in “E” mode before being able to shift to either “D” or “S” mode to get the performance we paid for.

Audi needs to let us Owners Program whatever mode we want to drive in as a Start Up Default mode. That would stood 85% of these types of complaint threads.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:02 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

And then we’d be right back where we started! People complaining about poor “E” Performance and having to start out in “E” mode before being able to shift to either “D” or “S” mode to get the performance we paid for.

Audi needs to let us Owners Program whatever mode we want to drive in as a Start Up Default mode. That would stood 85% of these types of complaint threads.
But, it is highly doubtful Audi will ever do that.

Reason being the vast majority of owners use D vs S on a routine basis and all of the D drivers help keep the mpg higher and the emissions lower. Making a conscious decision to shift into S keeps those numbers up.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:11 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
But, it is highly doubtful Audi will ever do that.

Reason being the vast majority of owners use D vs S on a routine basis and all of the D drivers help keep the mpg higher and the emissions lower. Making a conscious decision to shift into S keeps those numbers up.

Agreed.

It’s become almost automatic for me to just pull the shift lever twice to put the car into Sport mode. When I get onto an interstate and the traffic permits, 1 more pull and I’m back into Drive mode.

Personally I don’t get all the complaining that goes on over the 2 modes — it’s not like we have to drive in “D” mode — it’s a conscious move that is easily solved; 1 more pull on the shifter.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I do not understand some people, these people talk for days about how much fun stick shift is to drive and if auto makers stop making the manual transmission, it will be the end of the world as we know it. These same people are the one who complain about having to pull down the shifter down once as oppose to shifting 20 times in a minute while driving a manual transmission.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok but,

I fully understand the solution is to put the transmission in "S" mode. Not a big deal.

I'm not sure it's un-reasonable to buy a luxury sport coupe for a premium price and expect that the damn engineers can't program it to not have this "lag" in throttle response!

Making excuses for it's design is un-acceptable.

My Wife has driven my car a grand total of 2 times. She even noticed it.

Ridicules.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had this happen to my A5. But I did have it happen when driving my Golf.
Let off the throttle making a right turn, press the accelerator and nothing engine remained
as if not trying to accelerate for a long second or two. Dealer never heard of such a thing
driver error.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 RARE T
I'm not sure it's un-reasonable to buy a luxury sport coupe for a premium price and expect that the damn engineers can't program it to not have this "lag" in throttle response!

Making excuses for it's design is un-acceptable.

My Wife has driven my car a grand total of 2 times. She even noticed it.

Ridicules.
I believe that their engineers are capable of eliminating the throttle lag, but actively chose to program the D mode with soft throttle response and to seek the highest gear possible, both in an effort to maximize fuel efficiency. This behavior is not isolated to the A5 or S5 and even to the B9 generation, as the B8 generation with the ZF8 operates similarly in D.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead Throttle