Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Dead Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If the idea is to have the trans stay in a higher gear at slow speeds to achieve better fuel economy, I call BS.

The end result because of the lag, is that the driver will have a higher percentage of throttle to accelerate.

I’m not buying this excuse.

Poor engineering.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Sorry, after 8K miles, almost all of it in D and I have never felt an issue with the throttle and lack of acceleration when needed, so I wouldn't say this is an issue with the A5/DSG. Sure, with a small displacement, turbo engine it takes a bit longer than bigger NA engine for the full acceleration to kick in but I have never felt a "dead" throttle, or even anything close to it.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 RARE T
If the idea is to have the trans stay in a higher gear at slow speeds to achieve better fuel economy, I call BS.

The end result because of the lag, is that the driver will have a higher percentage of throttle to accelerate.

I don't think you understand. The idea isn't to necessarily increase real-world mileage, it is to increase the mileage achieved during fuel economy test cycles.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
I don't think you understand. The idea isn't to necessarily increase real-world mileage, it is to increase the mileage achieved during fuel economy test cycles.
Any minimal gain using that theory is a poor trade-off for the ****ty throttle response.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any minimal gain using that theory is a poor trade-off for the ****ty throttle response.
Its not minimal gain, sport mode will decrease the MPH 1-2 MPG, If you go to any car forum, you can pretty much find some posting about transmission lag, In D mode, the tranny kick down could be faster, but that will create a pretty rough shift, that's why the D mode is there for those who want to have a smooth ride, for those who want quick throttle response, there is the S mode. As much as I like to have fun in the S mode, I would not want that for everyday driving.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe I'm not clear about what is actually happening.

The condition goes like this,

Taking a turn onto a road, (rolling at a few mph,) gently push the throttle, nothing.

It's like the engine quit running then, bam, it accelerates. Takes 2-3 seconds to come to life.

This is driving in "D", like my kids are in the car, nothing spirited.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:54 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Try disabling the “Auto Start / Stop (***)” system and see if that makes a difference.

If it does not, then you might want to think about a different vehicle. I do not have this problem with my S5.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't even get me started on the stupid start/stop.

Sometimes when I put it in Park, the whole car just shuts off like you hit the ignition switch.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Maybe I'm not clear about what is actually happening.

The condition goes like this,

Taking a turn onto a road, (rolling at a few mph,) gently push the throttle, nothing.

It's like the engine quit running then, bam, it accelerates. Takes 2-3 seconds to come to life.

This is driving in "D", like my kids are in the car, nothing spirited.
That is a combination of non-linear throttle response and the transmission being in a gear that has the engine outside of its powerband, potentially plus a small amount of turbo lag. I don't like that behavior either, but Audi does not consider it broken and will not "fix" it. The only solution is to trade the car in and move to another brand if you cannot tolerate it.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's 6 months old. Massive hit financially.

Quick Reply: Dead Throttle