Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Deer 2, RS5 0

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Really sorry to hear about this but glad to hear you're ok and hope you continue to recover. Hopefully the next RS5 will bring better luck and someone else will enjoy yours and have better luck too!
Old 04-28-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Glad you are ok. Having a deer hit my car is something I fear, when driving around the “country” in NTX. Assuming insurance doesn’t total it and it can be fixed...someone is going to get a nice deal on a nearly brand new RS5 SB!
Old 04-28-2019, 07:41 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Glad you are ok. Having a deer hit my car is something I fear, when driving around the “country” in NTX. Assuming insurance doesn’t total it and it can be fixed...someone is going to get a nice deal on a nearly brand new RS5 SB!
. . . Just have to hope that bad MoJo either vanishes or got transferred to the deer!

— John
Old 04-28-2019, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
yes! I just took the ugly weathertech sticker off.
Thanks! Weight saving....
Old 04-28-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Where is this "country" you speak of? I've actually never seen a deer in the wild since I've lived here, which is one nice thing about living in such a densely populated area. I've seen quite a few bobcats and coyotes though.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Where is this "country" you speak of? I've actually never seen a deer in the wild since I've lived here, which is one nice thing about living in such a densely populated area. I've seen quite a few bobcats and coyotes though.
Anywhere north of Denton, east of Dallas, down in the hill country or taking OSR to College Station. I have a buddy that lives in Austin and he has 10-15 deer in his yard on a regular basis.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:38 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Anywhere north of Denton, east of Dallas, down in the hill country or taking OSR to College Station. I have a buddy that lives in Austin and he has 10-15 deer in his yard on a regular basis.
Not to crap on JBD’s thread but — I live in the most densely populated state, in a very populated county / township and there are at least 5 to 7 deer that cross our front lawn daily, on their trek from the woods on the left of our development to the woods on the right of the development . Thankfully, it’s usually just before dawn or shortly after dusk. Prior to retirement I was leaving the house at 4:30 in the morning and it really was like a zoo at that time.

I’m just glad (as are the deer, I’m sure) that i’m still sleeping at that time now.

— John
Old 04-28-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I've actually never seen a deer in the wild since I've lived here
I envy you. Whitetail deer are practically the state bird in NJ. The last 10 miles of my evening commute are on a rural country road. It's not uncommon to pass by 40 or more of them just standing on the sides of the road in that stretch. I usually see a new carcass on that same stretch of road every other morning.

I was unlucky enough to tag one after it made a poorly timed decision to cross the road. Took out the drivers side headlight, dented the hood and front fender and then rolled into both side doors. Luckily nothing more than bodywork damage but it took 2 weeks and about $6000 to repair.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Glad you're O.K. JBD.

Originally Posted by CtheW0rld
Deer kill more humans than any other animal in the US.
I believe it is generally accepted that may "single car accidents" in areas with deer populations are people trying to avoid a deer. Every time I see one on the side of the road, I remind myself not to try to avoid it if it runs in front of me.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by AgMaple
Glad you're O.K. JBD.
I believe it is generally accepted that may "single car accidents" in areas with deer populations are people trying to avoid a deer. Every time I see one on the side of the road, I remind myself not to try to avoid it if it runs in front of me.
I remind my wife of this almost monthly - she is a big animal lover and her first instinct will always be to try to swerve to avoid contact with the animal. I always tell her that a deer will bounce off your car - but your car will bounce of a tree. Now if that animal in the road is a moose - all bets are off and you probably need to do some swerving. Luckily there are no moose in NJ.