Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Did I Get Duped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
I try giving car dealers the benefit of a doubt however time and time again they fail me.
Even the high line Audi dealer is part of the stereo type.

Well truth be told,it's an ingrained part of the business model and has been since existence. Until you're able to purchase/lease cars over the internet and only go to the dealership for delivery and services,it'll never change...they will try and screw you on the front end every which way because it's taught in the meetings. Dealership people jump around from marque to marque so if you can find one you're comfortable with and there's a strong chance for a committed relationship with them then by all means keep them close to the vest...but always keep them honest.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Based on what I paid for my S5 SB (also in SoFla), they gave you the $2k discount knowing they had the military discount to offset it. I got a $1k discount PLUS the $750 Audi Loyalty rebate. They should have been transparent about how they got to the $2k discount. IMHO you would not have gotten $2k discount if there were no military rebate available. BTW, your dealer fee is one of the lowest I've seen in South Florida, mine was $799.

Enjoy your new car!!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vjbg8r
Based on what I paid for my S5 SB (also in SoFla), they gave you the $2k discount knowing they had the military discount to offset it. I got a $1k discount PLUS the $750 Audi Loyalty rebate. They should have been transparent about how they got to the $2k discount. IMHO you would not have gotten $2k discount if there were no military rebate available. BTW, your dealer fee is one of the lowest I've seen in South Florida, mine was $799

Enjoy your new car!!
I maybe see what you're saying, but I doubt they would base a price on a possible rebate they thought was going to happen 3 months in the future...especially with a 2018 model. The real fact which backs up my thinking is the purchase price they listed on the final paperwork is 1,000 more than the purchase price listed on that deal sheet. I had three dealers all offering me around the same price. Two in SW FL and one in Alabama closer to where I live in Pensacola, so as far as bargaining goes, I think it's all dependent on getting the dealers competing for the sale.

In other news, THEY ARE SENDING ME A CHECK FOR THE $1,000!! Woot woot! They called me today to apologize for the misunderstanding. I'm happy with the outcome, but I'm still just disappointed in the way the whole thing went down. I went out of my way to buy from that dealer cause I trusted them but now I just feel like they tried to take advantage of the rebate. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kmdr2
In other news, THEY ARE SENDING ME A CHECK FOR THE $1,000!! Woot woot! They called me today to apologize for the misunderstanding. I'm happy with the outcome, but I'm still just disappointed in the way the whole thing went down. I went out of my way to buy from that dealer cause I trusted them but now I just feel like they tried to take advantage of the rebate. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
That's great news, looks like they were planning on keeping it all along until you inquired...still hard to believe in this day and age they would try an underhanded move like that.

Good for you on calling them out...
Old 07-21-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
That's great news, looks like they were planning on keeping it all along until you inquired...still hard to believe in this day and age they would try an underhanded move like that.

Good for you on calling them out...
That is really pathetic. There's a reason I bicker with dealers - I don't feel I can trust anyone so I have to be comfortable with the deal myself.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Isn't that something, They were trying to pull a fast one. Wonder how many others they have screwed over like this.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Like I previously mentioned, having worked in this industry for many years, nothing surprises me anymore...but with all the information one has now that wasn't available when I was selling...they still play the same old tricks...act dumb and give back the customer what's rightfully theirs...until they ask.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

That's outstanding news! It's pretty rare for a dealership to own up to their mistake, I'm happy for you and glad you got your money back.

Just curious: was Audi Pensacola not open yet? I just moved to Ocala but didn't fully commit to buying another Audi until I learned they were putting a new dealership in Gainesville. I took delivery at Audi Fort Lauderdale since I've dealt with those guys for about 7-8 years (same owner as Audi Coral Springs).
Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vjbg8r
That's outstanding news! It's pretty rare for a dealership to own up to their mistake, I'm happy for you and glad you got your money back.

Just curious: was Audi Pensacola not open yet? I just moved to Ocala but didn't fully commit to buying another Audi until I learned they were putting a new dealership in Gainesville. I took delivery at Audi Fort Lauderdale since I've dealt with those guys for about 7-8 years (same owner as Audi Coral Springs).
Correct, Audi Pensacola was still a couple months from opening when I ordered. I went in there to scope it out about a month ago. Said they had one S5 SB come in and it was only on the lot for 8 hours.

Apparently their salesmen are all on salary also and don't work on commission, which explained why one of the guys spent a good amount of time letting me test drive and showing me around the features of an S5 coupe. Haha. Was a pleasant surprise though.