Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Did you do a proper break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

Nope. I drove it like I stole it. Getting oil changed at 5k km, so soon.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport
Nope. I drove it like I stole it. Getting oil changed at 5k km, so soon.
same, drove it hard right away, did an oil change at 1k and another at 5k.

did the same for my old B7 S4 which were notorious for drinking oil. I never had to top it off the 10 years I had her.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 RARE T
This couldn't be any more incorrect. Warranty work pays the dealer a fraction of what retail does. Technicians run and hide from it. The Dealer does it because they have to.
Read my sentence again: My meaning was the dealer wins in the end. If Audi determines that the recommendation for engine break-in were not followed — that salesman is not going to step up and say, “Oh yeah, I told him there was no break-in period so it’s my fault” — they’re not going to greenlight a warranty repair. It’ll all be on the customer to foot that bill.

And, Service keeps the dealerships in business — Dealer profitability on the hole is Service & Extended Warranties!

— John
Old 04-09-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Read my sentence again: My meaning was the dealer wins in the end. If Audi determines that the recommendation for engine break-in were not followed — that salesman is not going to step up and say, “Oh yeah, I told him there was no break-in period so it’s my fault” — they’re not going to greenlight a warranty repair. It’ll all be on the customer to foot that bill.

And, Service keeps the dealerships in business — Dealer profitability on the hole is Service & Extended Warranties!

— John
Customer pay service-yes. Extended warranty revenue goes to Audi corporate not dealer in-house so I'm not sure why you think the dealer gets rich off it. Claims are paid by Audi not the dealer.

I'd love to be there the day they try and get a customer to pay for an engine repair when the car is brand new.

If this truly is a requirement, engine rpm should be ecm limited for a certain period.

This is mentioned to protect the manufacturer, nothing else.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 RARE T
Customer pay service-yes. Extended warranty revenue goes to Audi corporate not dealer in-house so I'm not sure why you think the dealer gets rich off it. Claims are paid by Audi not the dealer.

I'd love to be there the day they try and get a customer to pay for an engine repair when the car is brand new.

If this truly is a requirement, engine rpm should be ecm limited for a certain period.

This is mentioned to protect the manufacturer, nothing else.

Wall Street Journal Article —>. Add-On Services Emerge as Car Dealers’ Profit Generator. This article was published yesterday in the WSJ.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 AM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

My A5 was a custom order and arrived with 2 miles on the odometer. I did proper break-in for 1500 miles (which I realize is more than required). I just like to be gentle whilst we're getting to know each other.

(I did the same for my 2012 A5 manual trans.)
Old 04-09-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

So I followed up and they said "what we meant was just drive it normally". Which I do, but it would be nice to know not to redline it. I'm sure the chance of breaking it is low. How much does that early oil change really help? Is this like an old wives' tale?
Old 04-09-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

I kept within break in. Someone else is going to buy this car after my lease is up and they shouldn't have to suffer and have a bad experience because I decided to be a jack***.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Wall Street Journal Article —>. Add-On Services Emerge as Car Dealers’ Profit Generator. This article was published yesterday in the WSJ.
I'm not subscribing to the WSJ to read that.

Yes, if the finance office sells you an extended warranty of some sort, commissions are paid. Those funds aren't held in trust waiting for a repair in the future at the dealer. The dealer gets a percentage or a set spiff for selling the warranty.

In Canada - https://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/custom...-warranty.html

There's a lot less profit than people think in the sale of a new car. So if they can get another few dollars out of you for warranty, tint, paint protection etc., it increases profit on the deal.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never followed the break-in procedure on any car I've ever had. I think, following the procedure and beating the heck out of it after is worse for a car. Driving a car hard over a long period of time might cause more issues in the long run.

I don't keep my cars long enough to worry about break-in. They're usually gone before the warranty is up.

Quick Reply: Did you do a proper break-in?