AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Does 2019 S5/RS5 have turbo lag? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/does-2019-s5-rs5-have-turbo-lag-2960378/)

sknj 10-09-2018 07:11 PM

Does 2019 S5/RS5 have turbo lag?

I created the thread by mistake here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ke-s5-2959867/ so now moving to right place. I'll paste the description though :)
Hi guys,
My first post here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif. I have been exploring my next car and so far, its C43 AMG 2019. I love the super spontaneous response it has. I put my foot down and off it goes. I also like its interior very much and LOVE its exhaust sound (comes with exhaust package). The only thing I'm not crazy about is its exterior. Plus my wife has C300 and C43 doesn't look too different from C300. So I started looking around and RS5 looks amazing. Such a bad ass looking (in a good way) car. S5 looks very similar as well. So I went to local dealer and test drove it. What I noticed right away is the lag it has when I put my food down. Yes it was in dynamic mode. When I put the foot down, it took a bit long before it reacted but when it did react, it just took off. Very good speed indeed but I wasn't thrilled with the lag it has. I was test driving 2018. So I started looking into RS5 hoping that it won't have the turbo lag. The dealer didn't have the car in store so I started exploring youtube videos and came across CarWow video where they test drove RS5 and also compared with S5. According to their review, RS5 has a turbo lag as well. Here is the link to video

I was surprised to see that even RS5 has a turbo lag??? I mean, forget C43 AMG, even when I drive my wife's C300 in sports+, it has very quick response.
So here I'm asking you guys to confirm if RS5 has a good noticeable turbo lag and if it's may be going away in 2019 model by any chance?

emacS5 10-09-2018 10:01 PM

I notice that you wrote "Yes it was in dynamic mode"....but was it in SPORT mode, too? Dynamic + Sport is what gives you better off-the-line response. You have to tap the gear selector downward one more time from "D" (drive) into "S" (Sport).

sknj 10-10-2018 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by emacS5 (Post 25222042)
I notice that you wrote "Yes it was in dynamic mode"....but was it in SPORT mode, too? Dynamic + Sport is what gives you better off-the-line response. You have to tap the gear selector downward one more time from "D" (drive) into "S" (Sport).

not 100% sure. I was relying on the salesman to do the right thing. I did tell him that I feel the lag and he told me that it's common on Audi. I asked why Nd he said that he doesn't know himself.
have you test driven 2018 S5? Did u feel any lag in sports?
you see the video I linked above. When he's driving RS5, he said that there is a little lag on response. If Rs5 has it then most likely s5 has it as well.

jhstl 10-10-2018 04:25 AM

On my S5, there is definitely lag in dynamic mode, but as stated above, once you are in dynamic S mode the response is much better. I wouldn't say there is no lag, but if it bothered me that much I would have bought something that was supercharged instead. I would recommend putting the drive select in dynamic and then pulling the drive lever back into S mode and then over to manually shift using the paddles. To me it feels responsive enough.

SloopJohnB@mac.com 10-10-2018 04:45 AM

Try a new M5

Originally Posted by sknj (Post 25222014)
I created the thread by mistake here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ke-s5-2959867/ so now moving to right place. I'll paste the description though :)
Hi guys,
My first post here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif. I have been exploring my next car and so far, its C43 AMG 2019. I love the super spontaneous response it has. I put my foot down and off it goes. I also like its interior very much and LOVE its exhaust sound (comes with exhaust package). The only thing I'm not crazy about is its exterior. Plus my wife has C300 and C43 doesn't look too different from C300. So I started looking around and RS5 looks amazing. Such a bad ass looking (in a good way) car. S5 looks very similar as well. So I went to local dealer and test drove it. What I noticed right away is the lag it has when I put my food down. Yes it was in dynamic mode. When I put the foot down, it took a bit long before it reacted but when it did react, it just took off. Very good speed indeed but I wasn't thrilled with the lag it has. I was test driving 2018. So I started looking into RS5 hoping that it won't have the turbo lag. The dealer didn't have the car in store so I started exploring youtube videos and came across CarWow video where they test drove RS5 and also compared with S5. According to their review, RS5 has a turbo lag as well. Here is the link to video

I was surprised to see that even RS5 has a turbo lag??? I mean, forget C43 AMG, even when I drive my wife's C300 in sports+, it has very quick response.
So here I'm asking you guys to confirm if RS5 has a good noticeable turbo lag and if it's may be going away in 2019 model by any chance?

I’ve driven it and it has none that I can tell. It also gets 8 mpg...

The G Man 10-10-2018 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by sknj (Post 25222014)
Hi guys,

I test drove the C43 AMG before buying the S5 and the C43 AMG is definitely quicker off the line. I did not notice any lag in the S5 when in sport mode, In normal mode, there are some lag, BTW, it more likely that it is transmission lag, not turbo lag. I see the C43 AMG as the bruiser of the two. The C43 AMG is normal mode is almost the equivalent of the S5 in sport mode. The sport mode in the C43 AMG is insane, more suited for the track. Interior wise, no contest for me, the Audi interior is second to none. I needed a day to day driver and a weekend car, that is one of the reason I bought the S5 over the C43 AMG. The Audi just felt more refined to me. You should go test drive a S5/SR5 again in sport mode.

mhblaw 10-10-2018 06:01 AM

No. Set in Dymanic/S around town. 20mpg in town, 30 mpg on freeway at 85mph.

evanseric21 10-10-2018 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com (Post 25222079)

Are you saying the RS5 gets 8mpg?

sknj 10-10-2018 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by jhstl (Post 25222075)
On my S5, there is definitely lag in dynamic mode, but as stated above, once you are in dynamic S mode the response is much better. I wouldn't say there is no lag, but if it bothered me that much I would have bought something that was supercharged instead. I would recommend putting the drive select in dynamic and then pulling the drive lever back into S mode and then over to manually shift using the paddles. To me it feels responsive enough.

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com (Post 25222079)

Originally Posted by mhblaw (Post 25222111)
No. Set in Dymanic/S around town. 20mpg in town, 30 mpg on freeway at 85mph.

To be very clear, I'm talking about the lag where you put the foot down and off it goes. When I test drove it, I clearly felt the lag. I put my foot all the way down and the car responded after some time. Now, I'm not 100% sure if the car was in S mode but you all are saying that in S mode, as soon as you put your foot down, it goes right off???? Not talking about quick launch or from stop position. Say you are driving 20 Mph and then you just press the pedal all the way down in S mode, the car takes off right away?

sknj 10-10-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25222084)
I test drove the C43 AMG before buying the S5 and the C43 AMG is definitely quicker off the line. I did not notice any lag in the S5 when in sport mode, In normal mode, there are some lag, BTW, it more likely that it is transmission lag, not turbo lag. I see the C43 AMG as the bruiser of the two. The C43 AMG is normal mode is almost the equivalent of the S5 in sport mode. The sport mode in the C43 AMG is insane, more suited for the track. Interior wise, no contest for me, the Audi interior is second to none. I needed a day to day driver and a weekend car, that is one of the reason I bought the S5 over the C43 AMG. The Audi just felt more refined to me. You should go test drive a S5/SR5 again in sport mode.

Thx for posting your experience. Since you have test driven both, you can relate the two more closely. The lag that bothered me was when I was driving say 20-30 mph speed and then I put the foot down and I expected it to respond right away but it took some time before it took off. Again, not 100% sure that I was in Sport mode but when you test drove it, you didn't find lag in S mode from Stop position or even when you were just driving in slow speed and you wanted it to just take off?