Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Does 2019 S5/RS5 have turbo lag?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were not in dynamic when you started the car then once you change it to dynamic mode then you will automatically be in sport.

However, if you started the car already in dynamic then you were not in sport mode (unless you physically moved the shifter down once afterwards)

Old 10-10-2018, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sknj
Thx for posting your experience. Since you have test driven both, you can relate the two more closely. The lag that bothered me was when I was driving say 20-30 mph speed and then I put the foot down and I expected it to respond right away but it took some time before it took off. Again, not 100% sure that I was in Sport mode but when you test drove it, you didn't find lag in S mode from Stop position or even when you were just driving in slow speed and you wanted it to just take off?
Cruising at 20 to 30 mph, the S5 wants to shift to higher gear to keep the rpm low and gas mileage high, if you floor it while cruising at that speed, the transmission will have to downshift 2 or 3 gears. To down shift 2 to 3 gears quickly, it will be a very rough shift. In sport mode, the S5, much like the C43 AMG, will stay in lower gear and keep the rpm high for sudden acceleration. I usually drive in normal mode, if I need quicker response, I pull the gear shift down which changes the transmission program to be more responsive.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I test drove the C43 AMG before buying the S5 and the C43 AMG is definitely quicker off the line. I did not notice any lag in the S5 when in sport mode, In normal mode, there are some lag, BTW, it more likely that it is transmission lag, not turbo lag. I see the C43 AMG as the bruiser of the two. The C43 AMG is normal mode is almost the equivalent of the S5 in sport mode. The sport mode in the C43 AMG is insane, more suited for the track. Interior wise, no contest for me, the Audi interior is second to none. I needed a day to day driver and a weekend car, that is one of the reason I bought the S5 over the C43 AMG. The Audi just felt more refined to me. You should go test drive a S5/SR5 again in sport mode.
That's a very good comparison and observation and boils it down to the essence. There are a number of threads already and growing, of folks complaining about lag with the B9. There are similar threads over on the S6/7 forum. The suggested remedy is often to drive it in S/Dynamic. I think that's the crux of the situation. A sporty car that needs to be driven in its sport mode in regular driving in order to be responsive and enjoyable kinda misses the mark for me. Especially with Audi where the "Normal" mode is actually the middle mode. There is still "Comfort" mode that is meant for a laid back driving and Sport/Dynamic is meant for when you wanna hoon it. That's how my current B8 RS5 performs for me. I keep it in Individual mode with everything in Auto, except for the Sport Differential in Dynamic as I prefer the handling that way. It's responsive in regular driving. If I need to peel off from a stop it peels off w/o the need to put it in S and I can always take control in manual mode to override what the transmission is doing, but overall Auto works pretty well for 90%+ of my driving. So Comfort stays available for when I really wanna lay back for example on a long road trip, and Dynamic/S gets used when I hit up the canyons or feel like hooning around, but never to just drive around town. In fact it gets rather uncomfortable at low speeds in S. Now it seems Auto/D has become the new economy mode in these cars and frustrates the heck out of many owners. I agree with AMG the "Normal" mode, what they call Comfort, is actually responsive when you need it and it dials back when it detects that you are taking it easy. Audi's Auto mode is also supposed to adapt to your current driving style, but AMG seems to do a much better job at it. You can get an immediate response in the AMG in Comfort mode when you need it w/o having to first go into Sport or Sport+. Different approaches for different people I guess.

P.S. It also kinda emphasizes the mission of a car if it has two sport modes and only one normal mode, and the AMG S models have a third sport mode "Race" specifically for the track. Audis have two normal modes and only one sport mode, except for the R8 V10 Plus with the Performance mode that sits above Dynamic.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-12-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Slide aisle one, Slide aisle one please.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

have you test driven 2018 S5? Did u feel any lag in sports?
Yes, my current car is a 2018 S5. I see in other replies here that you were asking about rolling response, and that really has no problems with lag at all. In Sport mode, the car holds in lower gear a bit longer, so the RPMs are already higher when you floor the pedal.

I'm really thinking that you need to go back and do another test drive, making CERTAIN that your gauge display indicates Sport.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW... with my '15 S5... (3.0T Supercharged v6) in Dynamic mode (only), there is a slight hesitation if I try to jump on it... but once the beast winds up it's fine. Now.. a simple pull-back on the shifter to engage Sport mode (plus Dynamic) and the throttle response is darn near instantaneous. And the shift-points are "sportier" (higher RPM)... which is so much fun, that I often compare the straight line acceleration to my Corvette (400 hp LS2) in that it feels about the same -- w/o all the NVH! Very fun!!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by emacS5
Yes, my current car is a 2018 S5. I see in other replies here that you were asking about rolling response, and that really has no problems with lag at all. In Sport mode, the car holds in lower gear a bit longer, so the RPMs are already higher when you floor the pedal.

I'm really thinking that you need to go back and do another test drive, making CERTAIN that your gauge display indicates Sport.
Originally Posted by OlyS5
FWIW... with my '15 S5... (3.0T Supercharged v6) in Dynamic mode (only), there is a slight hesitation if I try to jump on it... but once the beast winds up it's fine. Now.. a simple pull-back on the shifter to engage Sport mode (plus Dynamic) and the throttle response is darn near instantaneous. And the shift-points are "sportier" (higher RPM)... which is so much fun, that I often compare the straight line acceleration to my Corvette (400 hp LS2) in that it feels about the same -- w/o all the NVH! Very fun!!
ok cool. I"ll go for a test drive. Now assuming that S5 doesn't have any lag in Sports and I'm satisfied with it, what is considered a good deal for S5? Is there a thread where offers are shared? Currently on a C43 2018 I'm getting the following deal
In the $61k C43 sedan scenerio, selling car for $54290 (11%), 48 months, 10k miles a year = 53% residual.. $1200 down plus 1st month = $625
that's for 2018. The only difference for 2019 will be the residual. If residual is better, the monthly payment gets even better.
So what can I expect to get an S5 for? Can I expect similar (11%) off on MSRP?
Old 10-11-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok cool. I"ll go for a test drive. Now assuming that S5 doesn't have any lag in Sports and I'm satisfied with it, what is considered a good deal for S5? Is there a thread where offers are shared?
I had to search quite a while to find my '15 S5. I was looking for less than 25K miles... with the v6 and SC (i.e., no turbo) and with all the bells & whistles (B&O stereo, MMI Nav, etc.). Finally found a 1-owner with 24 K miles on the clock... with about 50% of it's warranty and two services left on an AudiCare maintenance package. It was a trade-in at a Merc dealership that didn't want it on their lot. I ended up getting it for about $5,500 under Fair Market Value.

Good hunting!!
Old 10-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OlyS5
I had to search quite a while to find my '15 S5. I was looking for less than 25K miles... with the v6 and SC (i.e., no turbo) and with all the bells & whistles (B&O stereo, MMI Nav, etc.). Finally found a 1-owner with 24 K miles on the clock... with about 50% of it's warranty and two services left on an AudiCare maintenance package. It was a trade-in at a Merc dealership that didn't want it on their lot. I ended up getting it for about $5,500 under Fair Market Value.

Good hunting!!
thx. What I'm trying to understand is what's a fair market value? I got good deal on Marc because merc forum had a thread where buyers posted good deals. That gave me a good idea of what to ask for.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ok cool. I"ll go for a test drive. Now assuming that S5 doesn't have any lag in Sports and I'm satisfied with it, what is considered a good deal for S5? Is there a thread where offers are shared? Currently on a C43 2018 I'm getting the following deal
There is a thread on the S5 and SR5 pricing in here somewhere. The S5 will have much more discount than the RS5, its supply and demand. The last time I check, depending on where you are, the S5 can average $8K to $10K off while the SR5 will be much less, $2000 to $3000 off.

Quick Reply: Does 2019 S5/RS5 have turbo lag?