Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Does 2019 S5/RS5 have turbo lag?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sknj
thx. What I'm trying to understand is what's a fair market value? I got good deal on Marc because merc forum had a thread where buyers posted good deals. That gave me a good idea of what to ask for.
I use Carguru, Edmonds.com, and KBB.com to compare prices in my region.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OlyS5
I use Carguru, Edmonds.com, and KBB.com to compare prices in my region.

Sorry, I should have been clear about my question. I was aksing deals for lease. Though I don't mind getting 2015 but the issue with them is that they are two doors and WIFE doesn't approve of that. So the only option left is the sports back.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

called the dealer. He said that when you put the car in Dynamic, it automatically switches to Sports. It was a 2018 S5 SportsBack. Everyone here advised me to put the car in sports after putting in dynamic.
Anyway, I tried to setup an appointment and he apparently doesn't have S5 in stock anymore. I asked him if he can get it tomorrow and he said "I can secure one for you if we make the deal"

He is a sales man and should know better that its a 60K deal and people need to be satisfied with what they are purchasing first. I was shocked with what he said. So sad.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

called the dealer. He said that when you put the car in Dynamic, it automatically switches to Sports. It was a 2018 S5 SportsBack. Everyone here advised me to put the car in sports after putting in dynamic.
Anyway, I tried to setup an appointment and he apparently doesn't have S5 in stock anymore. I asked him if he can get it tomorrow and he said "I can secure one for you if we make the deal"

He is a sales man and should know better that its a 60K deal and people need to be satisfied with what they are purchasing first. I was shocked with what he said. So sad.
That is correct, if you put the car in Dynamic, it automatically puts the transmission in S(port). Most likely when you were driving it, it was in S. Folks are pointing this out, because if the car was already in Dynamic and then shut off, the transmission won't be in S next time the car is started. That's due to fuel economy regulations. Cars are required to start in the powertrain mode that yields the rated fuel economy. So in that case you would have to pull on the shifter once more after starting the car to put it back in S. Merc and BMW handle this a little different. They reset the entire drive mode back to the default mode, which in case of the C43 would be Comfort.

As for the sales person attitude, I can understand that. If he doesn't have one in stock, then he's gonna have to secure a dealer trade and most dealers are not willing to do that until they have a deal in hand as they gonna have to trade something with the other dealer and the transport is gonna cost money. I would find another dealer that has one on the lot, so you can test drive it again.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-12-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Especially at this time of year, when the new models are getting ready to roll in to dealerships. Depending on where you are in NJ, you should be able to find another dealer who has a 2018 in stock and is looking to sell it ASAP. Good Luck

Last edited by Nikon1; 10-12-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, I should have been clear about my question. I was aksing deals for lease. Though I don't mind getting 2015 but the issue with them is that they are two doors and WIFE doesn't approve of that. So the only option left is the sports back.
Leases can be tricky to understand. If you're OK with having little to no control over the capitalization price (dealers rarely "deal" on the price for leases) -- the "Money factor" that determines the monthly lease payment -- and the Residual value at termination of the lease. All that, combined with the amount of miles per year -- plus "cost per extra miles" -- plus the dealer's interpretation of "normal wear and tear" upon return of vehicle... and you could end up in a mess (money-wise).

Leases sound good b/c the monthly "Payment" is typically less than a conventional payment with a purchase deal (i.e., down payment - secure financing or pay cash). Dealers push leasing because it's easier to get someone to sign on the dotted line... and it often times makes them more money per deal.

Now... all that said... if you can legitimately deduct the lease payments as a business expense... and you plan to turn over to a newer rig within 18-24 months... leasing is a viable option.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
A sporty car that needs to be driven in its sport mode in regular driving in order to be responsive and enjoyable kinda misses the mark for me.
Yes, THANK YOU! Finally people are coming around to my entire point about the B9.

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
Slide aisle one, Slide aisle one please.
Damn, how did I miss this thread.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Thx for posting your experience. Since you have test driven both, you can relate the two more closely. The lag that bothered me was when I was driving say 20-30 mph speed and then I put the foot down and I expected it to respond right away but it took some time before it took off. Again, not 100% sure that I was in Sport mode but when you test drove it, you didn't find lag in S mode from Stop position or even when you were just driving in slow speed and you wanted it to just take off?
Yes, there is an entire thread on this forum about gearbox issues with the B9. There is lag in regular D mode and it's very annoying. A few people try to deny it exists but it does.