Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Does Audi even make RS5 Coupes anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Audi even make RS5 Coupes anymore?

I have settled on the RS5 over the AMG Mercedes C63 however, in Texas at least there are like 10 Sportbacks for sale VS 1 coupe (My sarcastic estimate) I know coupes are going the way of the horse and carriage it seems- but has Audi made any announcements on this that I am missing?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

The coupe is still being produced, but the 2018 RS5 coupe sold quite slowly and dealers have adjusted their inventory accordingly for 2019. The situation is the same for the S5.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

No, they are making them all right, but since people are not buying them they are making more of the SB, which is way more popular. You should be able to order one if you can't find one on the dealer lots.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I see lots of RS5 coupes around Los Angeles, and on the lot at my dealer Audi Beverly Hills. You can have your dealer do a trade with another dealer that has a coupe you like, or you can place a custom order through your dealer and it will be delivered in 4 months.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LOVEMYGOLFR
I have settled on the RS5 over the AMG Mercedes C63 however, in Texas at least there are like 10 Sportbacks for sale VS 1 coupe (My sarcastic estimate) I know coupes are going the way of the horse and carriage it seems- but has Audi made any announcements on this that I am missing?
2018-2019 sales running significantly better than 2015-2017-on all of the Audi Coupe lineup (they don't break out the RS5). A 22% jump in overall coupe sales from 2017 to 2018. First 2 months of 2019 off 5% from 2018. Gotta think some of that is weather related.

Audi A5 / S5 US car sales figures

60% of Audi's sales in the US are SUVs, so we're already in the minority on any Audi sedan/coupe. Actually, the models that are showing the worst sales totals year over year are the A6 (sedan): -35% and A8 (sedan) -49%...even the A7/S7/RS7 line which is also a four door (miscategorized as a "coupe" because of styling) was -20%.

Coupes: A5/S5/RS5 + A5/S5 Cabriolet and (this is where you really don't know) is that they also add the SB version of the A5 & S5 in this category that they show as +22%. I gotta think the TT (-44%) isn't long for the U.S. unless special order or European delivery.

https://www.best-selling-cars.com/br...ica-car-sales/
Old 04-04-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by KCTiger83
2018-2019 sales running significantly better than 2015-2017-on all of the Audi Coupe lineup (they don't break out the RS5). A 22% jump in overall coupe sales from 2017 to 2018. First 2 months of 2019 off 5% from 2018. Gotta think some of that is weather related.

Audi A5 / S5 US car sales figures
I'm not sure whether you consider the Sportback a "coupe," but I do not, and I believe the OP was referring to the two-door coupe RS5, not the RS5 SB. The reason B9 A/S5/RS5 sales have increased compared to B8 is the introduction of the SB model; Audi does not separate coupe and SB sales, but SB sales have replaced most coupe sales and have stolen some sales from the A4/S4, which have decreased compared to the B8. A cursory review of dealer inventory would illustrate that dealers are predominantly stocking the SB over the coupe for the A5, S5, and RS5.

Last edited by JD15; 04-04-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The RS5 Coupe has turned out to be a tough sell. The market doesn't seem to respond to the new direction. I personally think coupes have to differentiate themselves enough to be attractive, and the RS5 doesn't. Coupes are impractical cars, so nobody buys them for that reason. They have to appeal at the emotional level. I don't think coupes are all that much less popular than they used to be. The '19 C63S Coupe is selling like hotcakes and they are already out of allocations. AMG differentiates the Coupe from the Sedan by given it unique tuning, styling and a unique rear axle along with wider wheel arches in the rear which the other variants don't have. So the market is responding to the coupe. The RS5 SB is a similar story. It's unique in terms of coupe styling in combination with sedan/hatchback practicality, so the market is responding, especially since neither BMW M nor AMG offer this body style in this segment.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I'm not sure whether you consider the Sportback a "coupe," but I do not, and I believe the OP was referring to the two-door coupe RS5, not the RS5 SB. The reason B9 A/S5/RS5 sales have increased compared to B8 is the introduction of the SB model; Audi does not separate coupe and SB sales, but SB sales have replaced most coupe sales and have stolen some sales from the A4/S4, which have decreased compared to the B8. A cursory review of dealer inventory would illustrate that dealers are predominantly stocking the SB over the coupe for the A5, S5, and RS5.
Agreed that the SB editions are sedans. Audi won't break out the figures, so I just linked in the available #s. I also think that the categorization of the A7 & big bros as "coupes" because of styling lines is misleading as well.

I'm actually ok with owning a car that I never see another of in my city. Intend to own for a long time and is fully paid for with the extended warranty, so not worried about depreciation. Just having fun with cosmetic aftermarket mods and enjoying the compliments.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The RS5 Coupe has turned out to be a tough sell. The market doesn't seem to respond to the new direction. I personally think coupes have to differentiate themselves enough to be attractive, and the RS5 doesn't. Coupes are impractical cars, so nobody buys them for that reason. They have to appeal at the emotional level. I don't think coupes are all that much less popular than they used to be. The '19 C63S Coupe is selling like hotcakes and they are already out of allocations. AMG differentiates the Coupe from the Sedan by given it unique tuning, styling and a unique rear axle along with wider wheel arches in the rear which the other variants don't have. So the market is responding to the coupe. The RS5 SB is a similar story. It's unique in terms of coupe styling in combination with sedan/hatchback practicality, so the market is responding, especially since neither BMW M nor AMG offer this body style in this segment.
I bought mine as I noticed over time that with kids in college, I was spending 99% of the time in a 4 door A7 by myself or with my spouse. No need for a 4 door car anymore. There was a time I needed 5 seat belts for carpools and hauling sports gear etc. Now, I'm free to buy something I had been waiting for since they discontinued the B8 in 2015. Most of my neighbors have a MB/BMW/Mustang/Vette/HRT coupe for fun. They're out there...have seen plenty of A5s, which are beautiful cars as well. All good as to each his own.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Most of the sales are sportbacks, but interesting data point. Where I work we have sold more A5 coupes than sportbacks. Once you factor in S and RS models, sportback takes the lead. This means nothing in the overall picture, but still interesting IMO.

Quick Reply: Does Audi even make RS5 Coupes anymore?