Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Door rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door rattle

Anybody had any luck fixing driver side door rattle from the sound system? I didn't have it for the first week I had the car, and now it is showing up.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine has also started making a noise
Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just took delivery of my 2018 S5 last week, I didn't notice it when I test drove the car but I sure can now. I've narrowed it down to the speaker grills, and boy do they make a lot of noise. Mine will be going in to the dealer to have them look at it for sure!
I traded in my 2014 A5 and I don't think there was a single rattle or squeak on that car.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine is in right now for rattles in both front doors even when the radio is off. The first attempt lasted about 2 weeks and then they both came back. It sounds like the dealer has started to see a few of these so hopefully they have gone through the learning curve now and have a plan of attack.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Mine is in right now for rattles in both front doors even when the radio is off. The first attempt lasted about 2 weeks and then they both came back. It sounds like the dealer has started to see a few of these so hopefully they have gone through the learning curve now and have a plan of attack.
I get this odd rattle near my driver side door, it's almost like a buzzing sound but is entirely based on vibration of the road and bumps. My best guess is that it's coming from the rubber door lining or possibly the seat belt extender--not sure. Only happens from time-to-time too, so my Audi dealership wasn't able to find it when they looked. Could you let me know whether your dealership is able to fix yours this time around, and what they said it was? That may help. I'll keep everyone posted if I'm able to get mine fixed as well.

The front right speaker (in the front dash) also rattles on my car, that's an easier one to locate though.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine drivers side also has an odd buzz or some sort of vibration. My door panel is very solid and doesn't seem to be the issue.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by drdaredevil
I get this odd rattle near my driver side door, it's almost like a buzzing sound but is entirely based on vibration of the road and bumps. My best guess is that it's coming from the rubber door lining or possibly the seat belt extender--not sure. Only happens from time-to-time too, so my Audi dealership wasn't able to find it when they looked. Could you let me know whether your dealership is able to fix yours this time around, and what they said it was? That may help. I'll keep everyone posted if I'm able to get mine fixed as well.

The front right speaker (in the front dash) also rattles on my car, that's an easier one to locate though.
That's exactly what I had in both front doors. I just picked it up again today after repairs. Time will tell, but it is quiet so far, but the same thing happened last time.... It was quiet for about a week or two then the rattles came back just as loud as before. The advisor said they have seen a few of these now and there is a TSB out to first use insulating tape in the panel and then move to foam if that does not work. This time they used the foam so we will see. My hat's to the dealer because they really seem to be trying to solve the noise and even after this second time he said to bring it right back if the noise comes back. I also have to give them props since both times they worked on the car they left no marks, or stains and everything looks put back together properly.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by heisnuts
That's exactly what I had in both front doors. I just picked it up again today after repairs. Time will tell, but it is quiet so far, but the same thing happened last time.... It was quiet for about a week or two then the rattles came back just as loud as before. The advisor said they have seen a few of these now and there is a TSB out to first use insulating tape in the panel and then move to foam if that does not work. This time they used the foam so we will see. My hat's to the dealer because they really seem to be trying to solve the noise and even after this second time he said to bring it right back if the noise comes back. I also have to give them props since both times they worked on the car they left no marks, or stains and everything looks put back together properly.
Awesome--glad we're all on the same page and that I'm not crazy! Hopefully next week I can get my car into the dealership for this fix. In the meantime, let us know if the buzz comes back for you! And thanks for the clarification... really appreciate the info.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My car is in for it's first scheduled service and they are also looking at a passenger side door rattle. For me, its like the window rubs against the gasket on the top frame of the roof.

I also had some buzzing coming from the driver side door that ended up being the light pipe and connected trim right in the vicinity of the door handle. Last time I took apart the door (to change out the B&O speaker LED module), some electrical tape and hot glue seemed to fix the problem.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jamis
My car is in for it's first scheduled service and they are also looking at a passenger side door rattle. For me, its like the window rubs against the gasket on the top frame of the roof.

I also had some buzzing coming from the driver side door that ended up being the light pipe and connected trim right in the vicinity of the door handle. Last time I took apart the door (to change out the B&O speaker LED module), some electrical tape and hot glue seemed to fix the problem.
Can you describe what and where you used tape and hot glue? I am having some buzzing noise from the passenger side door and the dealer isn't able to locate the issue. For me, I can't quite tell if it's from the passenger door or from the back seat area.

Quick Reply: Door rattle