Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Door rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info. I have a door rattle coming from the passenger door of my S5 also and will be taking it in. Seems to be generated when I hit road bumps.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

My buzzing is defiantly coming from my led light pipe/tube in the driver and passenger doors. I can stick my finger on the tube and the buzz stops.
Thanks jamis for finding the culprit.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
That's exactly what I had in both front doors. I just picked it up again today after repairs. Time will tell, but it is quiet so far, but the same thing happened last time.... It was quiet for about a week or two then the rattles came back just as loud as before. The advisor said they have seen a few of these now and there is a TSB out to first use insulating tape in the panel and then move to foam if that does not work. This time they used the foam so we will see. My hat's to the dealer because they really seem to be trying to solve the noise and even after this second time he said to bring it right back if the noise comes back. I also have to give them props since both times they worked on the car they left no marks, or stains and everything looks put back together properly.
do you have the TSB number?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KarKid
do you have the TSB number?
The service adviser didn't mention the number. He just mentioned that they have seen a few of these now and that there was a service bulletin that gave direction to first start with tape and then move to foam if that didn't work. Come to think of it, he could have been making it up since this was a second visit for the same noise and I am starting to hear the rattles coming back even with my swap to the winter tires that has made the ride a little softer since they are the 18" rims vs the 19" Cavo's that have a stiffer ride to them due to a thinner sidewall.

With both of mine, if you put pressure on the door panel when it is making the noise, the rattle stops. So mine is pretty easy to isolate. It just seems it is really hard to make it go away.

Last edited by heisnuts; 11-18-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
The service adviser didn't mention the number. He just mentioned that they have seen a few of these now and that there was a service bulletin that gave direction to first start with tape and then move to foam if that didn't work. Come to think of it, he could have been making it up since this was a second visit for the same noise and I am starting to hear the rattles coming back even with my swap to the winter tires that has made the ride a little softer since they are the 18" rims vs the 19" Cavo's that have a stiffer ride to them due to a thinner sidewall.

With both of mine, if you put pressure on the door panel when it is making the noise, the rattle stops. So mine is pretty easy to isolate. It just seems it is really hard to make it go away.
Mine is more like a buzzing noise and only on highway speed with rougher surface. Sounds like coming from the door or speaker grill. Doesn’t go away if I press on it.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KarKid
Mine is more like a buzzing noise and only on highway speed with rougher surface. Sounds like coming from the door or speaker grill. Doesn’t go away if I press on it.
Rattles can be the hardest things to solve since they can be intermittent and hard to pin down exactly what is causing the noise. If you have a road near the dealer that makes the noise act up, that will really help them track down the noise. That's what I did and then took the tech out for a ride to show him how to make the noise act up and they were able to tackle it it. The problem I have is that it will go away once they work on it and then a week or so later it will come back, just not as frequent as before. The snow tires have made it even less frequent since they make for a softer ride so for the time being I have not brought it back. Right now I am going to wait and see if it gets better or worse and then decide what to do since most of the time I have music playing and that drowns out the rattles for the most part.

It sounds like your noise might be in the door itself, which might make it easier to find. Your dealer might try driving the car with the panel off and seeing if the noise is present. If it is, they should be able to pin it down since everything in the door will be exposed and they can be pushing on different things when it's acting up to pinpoint the cause.

Last edited by heisnuts; 11-19-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Regarding the light pipe buzzing.... (sorry for the delay, I missed the activity on this thread).

For me, after the door panel is pulled off, you can see where the two LED modules plug into the light pipe that travels along the upper edge of the door handle trim (on the inside). Near where the modules plug in, I secured the LED modules in their mounting places with some electrical tape and filled some of the space between the light pipe and trim with hot glue (you could probably use silicon caulking as well). It mostly fixed the problem (not 100%, but it's much better than it was).
Old 11-20-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's been raining hard since yesterday and with the 18' winter tires @ 36psi, the S5 is like a different car now. Soft and I don't feel the imperfection of the road condition as much. Needless to say, the buzzing noise is almost non-existence. I may reconsider running at the lower PSI with the summer tires next spring. I think it was set at 41psi by the dealership.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I too had the same issue with the buzzing rattling noise (Driver Side). Took it to the dealership and they replaced a few clips that had some play. They even placed felt material as a buffer. After a week, the noise returned and this time it's more noticeable. Next week she's going back in. Will let them know what others have tried/noticed as a possible fix and see what they say. Will report back later.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Add me to the list for the drivers side door buzz. It doesn’t bother me a ton (my other vehicle is a Jeep so everything rattles!) so I will just wait and see what the resolution is when enough people have had it fixed.

Quick Reply: Door rattle