AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Doors locking and unlocking when washing car (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/doors-locking-unlocking-when-washing-car-2949650/)

Trade_it_all_4_more 05-17-2018 06:00 PM

Doors locking and unlocking when washing car

When I'm at my shop, I throw my keys in a metal toolbox, and I have no issues. When in my house garage, I don't have a convenient place to place the keys to prevent the car from sensing it.

After a brief internet / forum search, sounds like some have had success leaving the keys in the car. I tried that tonight (left them in the center console), and with every door handle I washed and then later dried, lock, chirp, unlock and so on.

Curious what everyone else does when washing their vehicle, as I am hoping there is a simple solution other than buying a metal box just for my garage so I can wash my car.

ArvX147 05-17-2018 06:02 PM

just leave them in the house....

luder888 05-17-2018 06:16 PM

I had my rear on some ramps today and was checking the underside of the car. I must have triggered the foot sensor and all of a sudden the hatch started to open. I was like **** it's going to hit my garage door. I was able to get up fast enough to stop the hatch from opening any further. Lesson learned, I will leave my keys far away from the car when doing stuff like that.

Sometimes I hate technologies.

Chris 05-17-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ArvX147 (Post 25154231)
just leave them in the house....

Yeah, this.

My S4 did the same thing. I just had to put the keys far enough away that I couldn't trigger the lock/unlock.

hevnsnt 05-17-2018 07:06 PM

you could get a faraday bag off amazon and put your key in there.

heisnuts 05-17-2018 07:31 PM

I leave the key in the garage when I wash the car in the driveway and it solves the problem. I never forget to put the key back in my pocket because the car will not start to move it back into the garage when done. I have had a time or two when I got back in the car after the wash to move it back into the garage and had the "you forgot the key, stupid" after hitting the start button.

Terrible_One 05-17-2018 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 25154237)
Yeah, this.

My S4 did the same thing. I just had to put the keys far enough away that I couldn't trigger the lock/unlock.

Same here. My Jeep SRT does the same thing as my S6 if I have the keys nearby. The water tricks the sensors that your hand is near the handle to auto-unlock because the FOB is also nearby.

SYMAWD 05-17-2018 09:08 PM

I just let the car keep locking and unlocking. I really don't see why it matters. I just make sure I lock it when finished.

heisnuts 05-18-2018 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 25154290)
I just let the car keep locking and unlocking. I really don't see why it matters. I just make sure I lock it when finished.

I used to do that until I had the trunk open when I was cleaning the rear bumper because the kick sensor in the rear bumper thought I was asking it to open the trunk hands free.

mplsbrian 05-18-2018 05:46 AM

This issue is completely solved by keeping the keyfob in the cupholder while washing. Or, if you need the car to remain locked while washing, in the house as others have said.