Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Buying A5 SB 252HP. Need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying A5 SB 252HP. Need your advice

Hi everyone
Iam new to this forum
Now iam about to close the deal with the dealer buying A5 SB. 252 hp
I am about to loose my mind can’t take the decision
Here is what about:

Iam 29 Married have 1 6year boy
I own now 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 v6 315 hp

As well I had a 2016 TT 230 HP( had it for 4 month )

So my concern about power
Iam used to the genesis and I find it powerful and good for ever day
Iam not racing type— but some time I like hit the throttle and boooom

When I used the 2016 TT 230 hp, I was shocked how 4cylinder engine is more powerful than the v6 on the genesis and felt the TT is much stronger and responsive and the sound of the exhaust And shifting and down shifting was like music to my ear.. that time I loved Audi and I knew that the German horse is much powerful than the Korean looool

So my question
How will it be like traiding my genesis and buying the new A5 SB 252hp
Will it be more powerful than my genesis
And will it be faster than the 2016 TT 230 hp
And what about the Exhaust sound, it’s it like the 2016 TT

By the way I check the Acceleration on YouTube
My genesis 0-100 km in 6.9 s
And the A5 SB 0-100 in about 5.4

Please need your advice
Old 08-10-2017, 03:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also consider vehicle weight and torque- this makes a significant difference.

I honestly wish I chose the s5 for the looks and engine sound, but I couldn't justify the price difference for a daily driver. I'm always in traffic and drive a lot. For a daily driver, it has more than enough power. If you can swing paying more, get the s5. You won't regret it.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by CarFreak
I would also consider vehicle weight and torque- this makes a significant difference.

I honestly wish I chose the s5 for the looks and engine sound, but I couldn't justify the price difference for a daily driver. I'm always in traffic and drive a lot. For a daily driver, it has more than enough power. If you can swing paying more, get the s5. You won't regret it.
Thank you so much
Actually the dealer only have s5 2 doors
I have a son so I need the sport back
I wish if the dealer have s5 SB ( extra money not a problem)

So should I buy the A5 SB or 2 door S5
Old 08-10-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've had an A5 SB Prestige Plus for a month now and that damn thing is QUICK. I'm not even out of the break in period so I still have not put the throttle to the floor yet. I traded in a 306 HP Infiniti G35 Sport in which I did HPDE type track days often. I've also driven Ferraris and Z06 Corvettes. I see no reason the A5 can't be tracked also. It's truly amazing how much they can get out of this 4 cylinder engine. Read the professional reviews - across the board they say it feels like more than 252 HP and they are right. For the first split second when you get on the throttle, there's just a bit of lag until the turbo kicks in, and then it takes off like a bat. And apparently that's also the case with the S5. I really don't think you'll feel underpowered with it! The power is very smooth. Honestly if I had any more power in a daily driver I'd be getting into trouble all the time.

Last edited by thracer; 08-11-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Smartmo5
Thank you so much

Assuming that you can't seek another dealer, and can't wait for a factory order, the practicality of a 4-door vehicle seems the obvious choice for your family situation. But...this is something that only you can decide.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you so much

Ask your dealer when they are getting any S5 Sportbacks in. I went from an A6 3.0T to an S5SB 6 weeks ago and absolutely love the SB. I ordered mine and skipped the sport rear differential and dynamic steering because of my driving habits which sound similar to yours. I'm not going to be taking any corners at 90mph! Without those options you're looking at an msrp in the low $60's. But there is no doubt an Sportback will fit your family needs just fine.....
Old 08-10-2017, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

You can always expand your search area to look for a car closer to what you want. Yes, it might mean a longer drive to pick up the car, but it is only a one time thing. If you expand your search to say 200 to 300 miles from your home, I would bet there are more A5 SB & S5 SB available to you.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you so much

I would say definitely go for the SB. It's still very sporty looking, yet more practical than the coupe for a family man. You should just go in to the dealer and test drive the A5 and get your own opinion on the power. Many of the members here are more than happy with the A5's power.

I would be careful testing the S5 first cause it may make the A5 tough to go back to if you really like having extra power.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too, came from a 2016 A6 3.0L before I bought the S5 SB. There was no way I was going down in horsepower by buying an A5. I think you would miss the horsepower and regret it. JMHO.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Audphile
I too, came from a 2016 A6 3.0L before I bought the S5 SB. There was no way I was going down in horsepower by buying an A5. I think you would miss the horsepower and regret it. JMHO.
This is true...no way in hell I'm going from a 6 to a 4, it would never provide me with that off the line grunt I'm used to.

Quick Reply: Buying A5 SB 252HP. Need your advice