Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Drivers window is haunted

Old 01-02-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Drivers window is haunted

Drivers side window is rolling itself down half way when opening the door and then it doesn't roll back up when shutting the door. This happened to me about 3 months ago a couple times and then never manifested again until now. I had to get out of the car and enter through the passenger seat push the pwr button without starting the car then roll the drivers window up. After doing this I was able to get in the drivers side and the window now works as normal.
Anyone else have the same or similar problem? What did Audi do?
Also how do you shut the pwr or accessory off after you turn it on? I push the start/stop button to turn on just not sure how to shut off without restarting the car and then shutting it down.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
Drivers side window is rolling itself down half way when opening the door and then it doesn't roll back up when shutting the door. This happened to me about 3 months ago a couple times and then never manifested again until now. I had to get out of the car and enter through the passenger seat push the pwr button without starting the car then roll the drivers window up. After doing this I was able to get in the drivers side and the window now works as normal.
Anyone else have the same or similar problem? What did Audi do?
- Trip 1: Reset the travel via door switch - No Dice
- Trip 2: Reset travel via computer - No Dice
- Trip 3: Replaced motor - No Dice
- Trip 4: Replaced control module in driver door (approx 2.5 months ago) - Hooray! (for the most part - every once in a while it doesn't seem to roll up 100% when I close the door and I get some wind noise when driving until I manually close it completely).

As I'm sure you are aware, it is intermittent which makes it much more challenging to troubleshoot. Minimally, I'd suggest taking a video next time it happens so you can show the dealership.

Interestingly, verbally they say no fault codes showed up, but I just really looked at the last service record closely for the first time and that seems like it may not have been the case (are those "B" numbers below fault codes?). Verbatim, it reads:

- Client states drivers window not working correctly, sometimes it rolls down half way when opening and won't roll all the way up when closing check and advise see omar or jorge for more details. 4th visit for same concern.
- Verified concern. Guided fault finding shows B148754 motor for window regulator no basic setting and B148701 motor for window regulator electrical error.
- Internal malfunction in driver door control module. Removed drivers panel and replaced module. Adapted via GFF. Checked Functions. OK.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has started happening to me too. It's driving me bananas. Will be making a trip to the dealer soon.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I have heard about this problem. It's basically an issue with the window indexing when opened or closed. My 2016 Camaro SS actually had this problem. Went to the dealership 5 times before they could fix it. Almost got a lemon law attorney.
Take yours in ASAP.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also experienced some ghost window behavior on my A5 Coupe.
I've assumed the window moving down/up a 1/4" behavior is actually supposed to happen when getting in/out of the car. I thought it might simply be a way of making the window more secure when closing the door. Do other people experience this or is it just me?

The second issue I've run into somewhat repeatedly is the window-up action being interrupted. I enter my building complex using a key fob, which opens up a gate. When I open my window to use the fob and then drive through the gate over a speed bump, the window-up process often stops and goes back down. Can't figure it out.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

zenichi the window lowering 1/4" is normal operation when you open the car door so that it can be shut without the the window catching the frame of the car. Window then rolls back up sealing tight. Mine is rolling all the way down or half way and then not going back up.
The issue your having also sounds like it could be related to the window control module.

I called and made a service appointment, they can't get me in until the 9th.... uhhg!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the same experience as rocko76. Toward the end it was fairly consistent. If I opened the driver door first, the passenger window would go down about 5 inches and stay there. If I opened the passenger door first, the passenger window would not move at all (when it should retract 1/4 inch or so). Because it did not retract, the convertible top would get caught when you tried to close the door.

Window and stops adjusted - no effect
Window motor replaced - no effect
Window controller replaced - Have not experienced any issue in the 4 weeks since this has been done!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I get it on the passenger front door and the drivers rear door. Need to call Audi, but I've been putting it off....
Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have had the same thing happen to me. I picked up my '18 Nav Blue S5 Sportback from the dealer on 12/18/17. Sometime right after Christmas, the drivers side window rolled down half way, while the engine was on and in Park.

While I was able to close the window manually via the power window switch, it was indeed odd that the window rolled down half way when I opened the driver's side door. Thankfully, it hasn't happened since - should I take it in to the dealer?
Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

YES It will only continue to happen

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivers window is haunted