Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Driver's window not retracting

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driver's window not retracting

This has started happening on my 2018 Sportback.

I'll turn the car off, open the door, get out and try to shut it, and the window will not retract the 1cm or whatever, so the top of the window glass makes contact with the frame. I have to turn the ignition on, roll the window down a bit and back up to fix it. Not good at all - If I were to slam the door hard, that glass might as well just go ahead and crack. These gremlins are really adding up for me and creating an unpleasant experience.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I had an issue with the rear passenger window. Didn't retract, but it also was impossible to manually get it to stay at the top when putting it up. It would auto-reverse at the top and go all the way back down.

There is a simple procedure in the manual to set the top position for the window. Once I did that, all was back to normal. Can't remember the exact procedure off the top of my head, but something like holding the up button for 3 seconds after the window is all the way up.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Yes...OP'er needs to start the system, auto down the window, autoup and hold for 3-5

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
I had an issue with the rear passenger window. Didn't retract, but it also was impossible to manually get it to stay at the top when putting it up. It would auto-reverse at the top and go all the way back down.

There is a simple procedure in the manual to set the top position for the window. Once I did that, all was back to normal. Can't remember the exact procedure off the top of my head, but something like holding the up button for 3 seconds after the window is all the way up.
seconds to reset the window. Door must be closed!

Then exit the car...should be able to see the window open ¼" or so.

If not...see your dealer...car is likely still under warranty.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If not...see your dealer...car is likely still under warranty.
Of course it is, but I'm not going to go to the dealer for every problem, I'd be there constantly. This is the classic "cannot replicate problem" issue. They'll try a few times, won't replicate it and I will have wasted my time. And even if they are able to replicate it, the chances of them having a specific, effective fix for this one random issue is minimal. I've been down these roads many times before.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freshpow78
Of course it is, but I'm not going to go to the dealer for every problem, I'd be there constantly. This is the classic "cannot replicate problem" issue. They'll try a few times, won't replicate it and I will have wasted my time. And even if they are able to replicate it, the chances of them having a specific, effective fix for this one random issue is minimal. I've been down these roads many times before.
maybe this is the TSB your looking for?

Old 11-15-2018, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Only_S5
maybe this is the TSB your looking for?

Thanks, but it seems like that's just talking about a regulator (hardware) failing completely, rendering the window entirely inoperable. I think this is a software issue that occurs intermittently.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These windows are weak. Once there's any ice at all on mine it won't retract and hits when I close the door. They replaced the motor last winter because the drivers window seemed weaker than the others and would reverse direction all the time because it thought it was overloaded. It made it better, but didn't totally fix the issue. They actually told me "just slide a credit card up the bottom seal so the ice is broken". They needed to use more powerful motors for the windows.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TanStarfield
These windows are weak. Once there's any ice at all on mine it won't retract and hits when I close the door. They replaced the motor last winter because the drivers window seemed weaker than the others and would reverse direction all the time because it thought it was overloaded. It made it better, but didn't totally fix the issue. They actually told me "just slide a credit card up the bottom seal so the ice is broken". They needed to use more powerful motors for the windows.
No ice here. I think the problem is that the software is sometimes not telling the window to roll down a centimeter when I open the door, so when I close the door, the top edge of the window hits the frame and makes a terrible sound (and doesn't close all the way). It's beyond just being an annoying software bug.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freshpow78
No ice here. I think the problem is that the software is sometimes not telling the window to roll down a centimeter when I open the door, so when I close it, it hits the frame and makes a terrible sound (and doesn't close all the way)
That's possible too. I've seen occasional strange behavior. Every once in a while mine won't go back up from being down to open/close. It's very rare and nothing that would show up if I took it in for service, of course.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TanStarfield
That's possible too. I've seen occasional strange behavior. Every once in a while mine won't go back up from being down to open/close. It's very rare and nothing that would show up if I took it in for service, of course.
Exactly. This is probably the 10th random thing that's happened that, if I took it in for service, they would not be able to reproduce.

This one has happened more than once, though, and it's obviously worse than say, a ghost seat moving positions.

Quick Reply: Driver's window not retracting