Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Drove the e-tron. Was not impressed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Drove the e-tron. Was not impressed.

I had the chance to test drive the e-tron today while my car was getting the XM Preset software update. I have heard all the hypes about EVs (mostly from Tesla forums) and how once you go EV you don't go back, and how the "instant torque" is nothing like an ICE car.

Well I hopped in, took it to a back road, stopped, and then floored it. The acceleration was less than impressive. I then took it to the highway, floored it while cruising at 70 to pass someone. Again, the "instant torque" was not something I was impressed with. I felt the S5 was more responsive.

Most of all, and this is something I will probably get used to if I have an EV, is the fact that there's no sound associated with acceleration. While the acceleration is smooth, something seemed to be missing when I accelerated. My brain got confused and I got anxious. It's akin to the feeling of your car rolling down a hill in neutral, gaining speeding, but no accompanying sound, and you can't do anything about it. It's a weird sensation and I felt like I was not in control.

Also the seat belt tightens whenever you floor the car. I don't know why they do that but it's very annoying.

I could not wait to get out of the car and get back into my S5. My brain just couldn't handle it! I felt like someone just scratched nails on a chalkboard during my entire test drive.
The following users liked this post:
CtheW0rld (06-26-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Also ttheseat belt tightens whenever you floor the car. I don't know why they do that but it's very annoying.....
It's to brace you for the sudden torque!
Jokes aside, it would be very hard for me to adjust to the lack of sound.
One day we'll all have to though because EVs will be at least 50% of current production cars by 2035 at the latest.
luder888 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
It's to brace you for the sudden torque!
Jokes aside, it would be very hard for me to adjust to the lack of sound.
One day we'll all have to though because EVs will be at least 50% of current production cars by 2035 at the latest.
I was afraid test driving the e-tron would make me regret purchasing the S5 last year, but nothing is further from the truth. I'm sticking with ICE for now. Granted, I've never driven a Tesla, but so far I'm not impressed by the EV's "instant torque" claim.
Nikon1 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Again, the "instant torque" was not something I was impressed with. I felt the S5 was more responsive.
To be fair, the E-tron is not a performance electric vehicle. While the response might have been a fraction of a second faster, it was a "0-60 in 5.5 seconds" response. (Same speed or slower than an A5?) So clearly, your S5 is going to give you more G-force into the back of your seat and feel much faster, as it should.

I haven't driven an EV either, but I'm guessing flooring a performance one set for a sub 4 or sub 3 second 0-60 would be impressive.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:31 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I was afraid test driving the e-tron would make me regret purchasing the S5 last year, but nothing is further from the truth. I'm sticking with ICE for now. Granted, I've never driven a Tesla, but so far I'm not impressed by the EV's "instant torque" claim.

I did drive a Tesla X with the highest rated battery pack about 3 years ago. 0 to 60 was amazing but I missed the sounds of the engine growling through the gears. After about 70 the acceleration was far less impressive than the initial power. By 90 the acceleration dropped way off. I’m with everyone else - I’m very happy to be driving a car with an ICE under the hood.

Thankfully I’m of an age where I seriously doubt that i’ll “Have” to drive an EV.

— John
The following 2 users liked this post by Nikon1:
luder888 (06-25-2019), NJS5 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

EVs are garbage. The technology just isnt there yet. I've said previously that its a terrible financial miscalculation for Audi to be betting so much money on the eTron's success.
CtheW0rld (06-26-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a big car
Q8 and q5 averaged out
Etron gt will be nicer
Etron a5 sb even better maybe 2022?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by emacS5
EVs are garbage. The technology just isnt there yet. I've said previously that its a terrible financial miscalculation for Audi to be betting so much money on the eTron's success.
You think Audi invested too much in EVs? You know how I know that Audi didn't actually invest enough in EVs? A startup was able to sell over half a million vehicles and address a market demand that wasn't satisfied by Audi or other big auto makers before, despite their decades of head start and zero manufacturing experience. That half a million cars could have been built by Audi, but instead of addressing the problem of fuel consumption and pollution by doing something creative and disruptive, they were busy solving that problem by cheating with their emissions software while promoting their vehicles as "green". I drove a GM EV1 back in 1998. Instead of developing the technology ahead of Tesla, GM let is sit there and did nothing because it's safer and more profitable to pollute the air and lobby the government to keep laxer fuel standards.

Anyone who drives a Model S or Model 3 knows the technology is there, it's time to face the music. There's pros and cons to both right now but one is the future and the other is on its way out sooner or later.
The following 4 users liked this post by belzebutt:
GR8WHITE A5 (06-29-2019), katzjamr (06-26-2019), mplsbrian (07-01-2019), paradyne (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
You think Audi invested too much in EVs? You know how I know that Audi didn't actually invest enough in EVs? A startup was able to sell over half a million vehicles and address a market demand that wasn't satisfied by Audi or other big auto makers before, despite their decades of head start and zero manufacturing experience. That half a million cars could have been built by Audi, but instead of addressing the problem of fuel consumption and pollution by doing something creative and disruptive, they were busy solving that problem by cheating with their emissions software while promoting their vehicles as "green". I drove a GM EV1 back in 1998. Instead of developing the technology ahead of Tesla, GM let is sit there and did nothing because it's safer and more profitable to pollute the air and lobby the government to keep laxer fuel standards.

Anyone who drives a Model S or Model 3 knows the technology is there, it's time to face the music. There's pros and cons to both right now but one is the future and the other is on its way out sooner or later.
If you're talking about Tesla, how many cars would they have sold without the HUGE tax breaks and tax credits? Those are ending, so we'll see how well they do.
Nikon1 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't find the continued mantra of "EVs are the future" to be very compelling, when electric cars have been around since the 1800s. Just because something is "new" does not automatically require that it be "better". And I won't be "facing the music" anytime soon. I don't plan on ever owning a golf cart, and luckily because I'm 50 now, likely won't be required to.
Nikon1 (06-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Drove the e-tron. Was not impressed.