AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Early observations/reviw (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/early-observations-reviw-2961914/)

Mashie7 11-06-2018 08:00 AM

Early observations/reviw

Got a new '18 A5 cab for my wife (2nd one). She loves it, and it's fun to drive. New engine and 7 speed dual clutch auto are a nice combo. Aside from some strange operating issues with menus and the accessories, it's been great for the first 1,100 miles. As always, I change the oil in any new car after about 1K miles to get rid of metal shavings/pieces in the oil & filter. Maybe overdone, but safe practice for less wear. I've seen some crazy amounts of metal in oil filters and on magnetic plugs.
Of all the cars I've owned in 40+ years, this is the most ridiculous set up for getting to the (plastic) oil drain plug ever. About 28 fasteners to take down the skid plate takes a ridiculous amount of time to do an otherwise easy change. Apparently Audi wants to sell oil changes or engines as they recommend 10,000 mile for the first one and make even experienced mechanics' life way more difficult than necessary. Why not put a small moveable door in the skid plate for quick access to the plug? This would save a LOT of time and aggravation. New member and already ranting, but a very simple solution could fix this easily.

emacS5 11-06-2018 08:09 AM

I think oil changes are supposed to happen from the top via extractor?

SloopJohnB@mac.com 11-06-2018 08:26 AM

Why don't you just cut a small hole for the plug?

Originally Posted by Mashie7 (Post 25233398)
Got a new '18 A5 cab for my wife (2nd one). She loves it, and it's fun to drive. New engine and 7 speed dual clutch auto are a nice combo. Aside from some strange operating issues with menus and the accessories, it's been great for the first 1,100 miles. As always, I change the oil in any new car after about 1K miles to get rid of metal shavings/pieces in the oil & filter. Maybe overdone, but safe practice for less wear. I've seen some crazy amounts of metal in oil filters and on magnetic plugs.
Of all the cars I've owned in 40+ years, this is the most ridiculous set up for getting to the (plastic) oil drain plug ever. About 28 fasteners to take down the skid plate takes a ridiculous amount of time to do an otherwise easy change. Apparently Audi wants to sell oil changes or engines as they recommend 10,000 mile for the first one and make even experienced mechanics' life way more difficult than necessary. Why not put a small moveable door in the skid plate for quick access to the plug? This would save a LOT of time and aggravation. New member and already ranting, but a very simple solution could fix this easily.

You might also consider an aftermarket metal plug with an included magnet. I'll bet someone out there makes one.

SloopJohnB@mac.com 11-06-2018 08:30 AM

Wouldn't surprise me. I've been doing that for a couple years on my M3.

Originally Posted by emacS5 (Post 25233400)
I think oil changes are supposed to happen from the top via extractor?

But I recently have a failed oil level/temp sensor and have a Hella sensor in hand to replace the one in the bottom of the sump. And which requires me to remove the plastic underbody panel as well as a ginormous aluminum reinforcement plate to get to the sump. At least on the E46 M3 there is a small hole/door to reach the drain plug so I'll drain the oil from the sump before I do the sensor replacement. One sensor in 15 years and 110K isn't a big deal.

Keep in mind one needs to loosen the bolt/cover on the oil filter cartridge holder to allow the oil in the filter/cartridge holder to drain into the sump.

CtheW0rld 11-06-2018 09:09 AM

Got a new '18 A5 cab for my wife (2nd one).

Congrats. Second wife or 2nd Audi?

mplsbrian 11-06-2018 09:51 AM

Literally nobody changes the B9's oil via the drain plug. Everyone uses an oil extractor (ECS Tuning sells a good one for $80) and sucks it out via the dipstick hole, even the dealer. It couldn't be any easier.

The G Man 11-06-2018 10:02 AM

A German car design that does not consider the need for maintenance, where have we seen that before?

Mashie7 11-06-2018 03:07 PM

There is no dipstick. Readings for oil level are via car status menu. Would be a nice solution though!

Mashie7 11-06-2018 03:11 PM

Ah, second A5, first wife.
Dark Metallic Navy, light grey interior, driftwood accent, B&O, basically loaded.
Came with light grey mats....not good. Got her some dark grey Lloyds mats.
My kingdom for a simple dipstick.......

Mashie7 11-06-2018 03:15 PM

Thanks, good thought, but it's also a plastic sump. .
Think I'll buy an extra plug anyway.....it's removed with a flat blade screwdriver and it's a quick release thread.
Only thing I've seen like it are golf shoe spikes.
Bizarre.....