Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

EMD Grill parking sensor sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
A week after my install it started raining and began to get false alerts, to the horror of several members here, I notched the grill below each sensor with a dremel tool to keep water from accumulating under the sensor. It completely stopped the false alerts and can not even be seen from more than a couple of feet away.
I wonder if drilling hole(s) toward the back under the sensor would still allow the water to still drain without breaking up the honeycomb lines that notching out does.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
I wonder if drilling hole(s) toward the back under the sensor would still allow the water to still drain without breaking up the honeycomb lines that notching out does.
It would likely need to be a very large hole, like a straw, to allow for water the drain. Non-scientific theory here, but the surface tension of the water would “clog” up the top of hole and not drain in a sufficient manner, with a smaller one. It doesn’t rain that often, where I’m at, so I learning to live with it for +s the grille gives me visually
Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

It would likely need to be a very large hole, like a straw, to allow for water the drain. Non-scientific theory here, but the surface tension of the water would “clog” up the top of hole and not drain in a sufficient manner, with a smaller one. It doesn’t rain that often, where I’m at, so I learning to live with it for +s the grille gives me visually
Exactly why I notched it in lieu of drilling a hole.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richr
Shame on me, but when I had mine done ($128) I failed to ask them to paint the crash bar and I hated the way it looked. So, hat in hand, I brought it back the next morning to ask how much to RnR the bumper and paint the crash bar. The shop Mgr. looked at it and said, "yeah, that looks like crap, leave it and we'll take care of it." I did and got a call two hours later to pick it up, done , no charge. Happy as a clam, I handed the tech that did the work $20 and he was thrilled.
I hope you are as fortunate.
So I called my auto shop who installed the grill and other mods. They advised me to take it downtown to one there reallly good shops in town.

I called and made an appointment earlier today for tomorrow morning, to either wrap the crash beam or paint it. What do y’all recommend? I prefer painting, I feel wrapping, will eventually peel off.

Last edited by Jay757; 02-11-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay757

So I called my auto shop who installed the grill and other mods. They advised me to take it downtown to one there reallly good shops in town.

I called and made an appointment earlier today for tomorrow morning, to either wrap the crash beam or paint it. What do y’all recommend? I prefer painting, I feel wrapping, will eventually peel off.
paint it
Old 02-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay757

Mine is painted with a flat black, textured paint that was developed for truck bed liners. I don’t expect to ever have to paint it again.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

paint it
Paint it is!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Mine is painted with a flat black, textured paint that was developed for truck bed liners. I don’t expect to ever have to paint it again.
Will look into that tomorrow morning at the shop and see what we can work out.

Stay posted! Will post pics after install is done!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine was painted Satin Black. I'm pretty sure any black would be fine.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know whether the sensor issues are a problem with the LLTek grill as well or is this just an EMD problem? The LLTek is more expensive but if it is issue free I may just go for that.

LLTek grill: LLTeK RS styling grills for Audi A5 and Audi S5 cars 2007 - 2018

Last edited by GR8WHITE A5; 02-12-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: EMD Grill parking sensor sensitivity