Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

EMD RS Grille/Front Parking Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts
Default EMD RS Grille/Front Parking Sensor Issue

I had a RS style grille (mine is from EMD) installed in my A5 SB this past week and all was well. However, today I got in the car to head out and the front driver side sensor kept going off intermittently. I am guessing this means I’m going to have to go to the dealership to get the sensors calibrated (and cost $$- since it won’t be warrantied). Has anyone, with a modified grille. encountered this type of issue and/or had it resolved?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Happened to me too. I was able to resolve the issue and you will not need any calibration.
Things to check:
1. Ensure the sensor harness wires are not too tightly pulled.
2. Make sure the sensor is properly aligned in the provision of the RS grille.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
I had a RS style grille (mine is from EMD) installed in my A5 SB this past week and all was well. However, today I got in the car to head out and the front driver side sensor kept going off intermittently. I am guessing this means I’m going to have to go to the dealership to get the sensors calibrated (and cost $$- since it won’t be warrantied). Has anyone, with a modified grille. encountered this type of issue and/or had it resolved?
In addition to BreedsAs suggestions, make sure the rubber grommet is properly seated on the sensor. While I did not run into any issues, I was able to see that the sensor was not properly seated prior to putting the bumper back on (fixed it), and it was due to the rubber grommet.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Excellent suggestions, thank you. It could have been a grommet or alignment issue, but a quick spit shine on the sensor seems to have fixed the problem! The sensor looked clean, but as @BreedsAs knows, we got a lot of rain in DFW Fri/Sat. Maybe while I was giving it a quick clean, it could have set the grommet or slightly aligned it again. Time will tell, but hoping it’s fixed!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unfortunately, the issue reappeared intermittently so I am working with EMD to see if I can get a new sensor sent to me.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

My front sensors are triggered sometimes for no apparent reason. Although I can't recall if it happened before the grille swap or not.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:53 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

My EMD grille went on Wednesday and so far no problems. I did scour the various threads devoted to this grille install and made sure to follow all the advice posted (Thanks to all that came before!).

The following users liked this post:
Cv640pilot (06-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the same problem, but EMD didn’t even bother replacing the grill or the sensors even after numerous emails of “follow ups”. I even bought new sensors coz mine intermittently comes back on when that side gets wet and water sits there. I believe it isn’t the sensor it’s the actual grill. The sensor doesn’t sit snug and it’s also a bit cockeyed which causes false alarms. It’s a bad grill mold.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
My EMD grille went on Wednesday and so far no problems. I did scour the various threads devoted to this grille install and made sure to follow all the advice posted (Thanks to all that came before!).

what did you use to get the S5 Badge to stay seated in the grille?
Old 10-21-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bayarea_s5
Have the same problem, but EMD didn’t even bother replacing the grill or the sensors even after numerous emails of “follow ups”. I even bought new sensors coz mine intermittently comes back on when that side gets wet and water sits there. I believe it isn’t the sensor it’s the actual grill. The sensor doesn’t sit snug and it’s also a bit cockeyed which causes false alarms. It’s a bad grill mold.
We exchanged several emails/photos this week and even a video of it going off while sitting in traffic in downtown Dallas (was dry out, so wasn’t a water issue on the grille). A new replacement sensor is being mailed to me, which means the grille has to come back off. However, I need to go back to the shop that installed the grille and have them fix the crash bar paint job anyway - so going to have them swap it out. If it happens again, then would agree it’s likely a grille issue and something I’ll have to try to remediate or go back to the stock grille, if it is a major issue for me (sure hope not).

@Nikon1 - looks good! Hope you don’t have a sensor issue crop up this week

Quick Reply: EMD RS Grille/Front Parking Sensor Issue